Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

3 Amigos only with headlights on ...

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2015, 10:51 AM
Winching
Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts
Default 3 Amigos only with headlights on ...

Im still looking for an issue thats more of a nuisance than anything else... i never have a problem in daytime with 3 amigos but at night time when I select the left signal i get the 3 amigos... I had just got used to it because haven't found a solution but then couple days ago i did same thing but all of a sudden I dint get the 3 amigos , thinking well these things eventually fix themselves if you give em time! well no.. didn't work that way lol its back lol anyone have any solution or have similar issue?

Old 08-17-2015, 11:45 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 966 Likes on 643 Posts

Ohh, electrical issues. That will be fun to track down.

Sounds to me like there's a short somewhere. Unless it's an ECU issue, I've heard of ECU issues causing some... wierd issues like that. Beyond that I'm no help. I'd just say to trace all the wires from effected systems and see if you can find any breaks anywhere.

Old 08-17-2015, 01:50 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 245 Likes on 230 Posts

Bizarre problem. Here is a shot in the dark:

Are you sure your battery and alternator are working right? When they get really weak all sort of lights come on, and maybe the draw of the headlights is lowering your voltage. Ask me how I know.

Also, check the grounding strap at the rear driver side of engine. The nut can come loose and all sorts of mischief ensues.

Finally, the shuttle valve on your ABS unit or the wiring thereto may be weak or frayed.

Those would be easy fixes. Everything else is "electronics" and therefore over my head.

Old 08-17-2015, 05:28 PM
Winching

yeah its WEIRD! and I've had it for a few years but disco runs great... I do see something odd ( btw brand new battery and alternator shows 13.5-14.2v range on ultraguage... all is good their.... when I go from low to brights it seems one side may be a little dimmer maybe... hard to tell... but something seems funny... also I see no drop in voltage on ultraguage... also brake light comes on same time so I have the 4 amigos lol also if I turn on any other light besides headlight or rephrased... if headlights are on and I add anything else to the circuit drain i get the 4 amigos !! lol

Old 08-17-2015, 07:42 PM
Camel Trophy

Holy CRAP that's too much for my little brain. Your brake light comes on, too?!

Just for giggles check your brake fluid level. If it is low all of those lights can come on.

But we both KNOW it has something to do with that high beam. We just don't know what.

Your truck may need an exorcist.

Old 08-17-2015, 08:14 PM
Winching

yeah that may be the plan !! hahaha

Old 08-18-2015, 02:09 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

A shot in the dark; make sure all your ground connections are clean and tight. Bad grounding does weird things! Other than that I have not got a clue.

Old 08-18-2015, 02:59 AM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by Alex_M
Ohh, electrical issues. That will be fun to track down.

Sounds to me like there's a short somewhere. Unless it's an ECU issue, I've heard of ECU issues causing some... wierd issues like that. Beyond that I'm no help. I'd just say to trace all the wires from effected systems and see if you can find any breaks anywhere.
X1 Maybe an issue with a short in the instrument binnacle possibly even on the PCB.

PS. What codes do you get on the OBD2 scanner?.

Old 08-18-2015, 09:12 AM
Winching

the only code I have recently is 134,134,155 relating to the O2 sensors which Im suspecting related to a minor exhaust leak or an O2 even though Ive replaced them recently .. nothing else

Old 08-18-2015, 09:17 AM
Camel Trophy

Is it the left high beam that is weak? Closest to the ABS controller? The high beam has a separate power and maybe that wire is frayed and touching metal. I know, I'm grasping... but it would at least be easy to check.

Quick Reply: 3 Amigos only with headlights on ...