Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A 3 Amigos riddle for those of you who like riddles!

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2011, 11:24 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A 3 Amigos riddle for those of you who like riddles!

I have a 2001 Discovery, 89k miles, and at ignition, ABS lights up and remains on. The other 2 amigos only turn up when I reach a speed of 10mph or so. I should point out that the 3 lights were coming on and going out randomly before I got my pads and rotors replaced.

My 2 questions are: 1) can anyone say with some degree of conviction that they know what might cause this issue? It seems specific where ABS lights and the other 2 only from 10mph onwards, but I cannot see any exact mention of this anywhere. And finally, 2) will the ABS amigo likely solve this type of issue or merely diagnose? I guess it depends on the answer to question 1.

Final part of the riddle is, that when I brake a little too suddenly occassionally, I do think the ABS comes on, but won't know for sure until the snow and ice come to visit.

Appreciate any insight you may have.
Thanks

Old 09-04-2011, 01:08 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts

You need to rent my ABS Amigo. It will read your trouble codes and let you know if its a ABS sensor, bad ground on the ABS modulator or something else. Without the Amigo its a blind guessing game. PM me and I will send you the details

My Amigos would appear in damp whether or hard braking. It turned out its the bad ground in the ABS modulator. Its next on my list to fix. Option B on Joshes write up. Check the sticky section.

Last edited by bosshogt; 09-04-2011 at 01:14 AM.
Old 09-04-2011, 07:56 AM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

I agree, there is no guessing here, with 16 possible causes for the 3 amigos. Get your codes read by someone with the correct scanner, only when the lights are on, then get back to us with the exact fault codes found.

Old 09-04-2011, 09:17 AM
Overlanding

I have the exact same problem...the only code I get is

Logged Faults:
045:Rear Left sensor output low

When the lights come on, I also get that wierd buzzing sound (like somone kicking a spring style door stop) from my SLABS ECU

Old 09-04-2011, 09:50 AM
Administrator

Might try cleaning that sensor wire as well as the sensor, if that doesn't work then it is time for a new speed sensor.

Old 09-04-2011, 11:36 AM
TReK
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Sensors don't go on those as much as the wheel bearings themselves. They rust internally causing the light to come on. You can both the sensor and hub as an assembly. Lot of times the hub seal goes on the hub causing grease all over the vehicle.

Old 09-04-2011, 04:20 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by bosshogt
You need to rent my ABS Amigo. It will read your trouble codes and let you know if its a ABS sensor, bad ground on the ABS modulator or something else. Without the Amigo its a blind guessing game. PM me and I will send you the details

My Amigos would appear in damp whether or hard braking. It turned out its the bad ground in the ABS modulator. Its next on my list to fix. Option B on Joshes write up. Check the sticky section.
Hi, is your ABS Amigo available at the moment? I am setting up a Paypal account so it will probably take a few days, so maybe towards the end of the week? Thanks.

Old 09-12-2011, 02:42 PM
Drifting

Ok, so the readout gave the following:
044:Front Right sensor output low
114:Shuttle Valve Electric Failure

So I'm going to try the modulator kit and replacing the sensor, but for the sensor, do I need the long Type ending in Loose Wires or the short Type ending in Connector?

Old 09-14-2011, 09:38 AM
Drifting

I bought the short type and it worked just fine. Cleared mine up with no problems. The long wired ones are hardwired in but the short ones have the plug which is what comes off the vehicle. AB guy told me the long one for the price obviously but reassured me the short would work just as well. Just personal preference I guess

Old 09-14-2011, 09:57 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Disco2001
Ok, so the readout gave the following:
044:Front Right sensor output low
114:Shuttle Valve Electric Failure

So I'm going to try the modulator kit and replacing the sensor, but for the sensor, do I need the long Type ending in Loose Wires or the short Type ending in Connector?
Remove and clean the 02 sensor first. then go to the link at the top of this section and read what Josh has posted regarding 2 module repairs and follow them to the letter. Afterwards do a complete 2 quart brake bleed, if the sensor comes back then it will need to be replaced.

Quick Reply: A 3 Amigos riddle for those of you who like riddles!