Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

3 Amigos scare

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2012, 11:47 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3 Amigos scare

The car was parked outside around 20degree F, started and waited until the RPM droped, put it in reverse and when I left the spot saw some drops on snow, pulled the hand brake and putthe car in neutral, wentto check, what might have been leaking and came back and drove the car only to notice that ABS, TC, DHA and brake lights were on. Stopped, turned off the car and on again, every thing back to normal.
Reading the forum could be a 1000 thing.
Do I need to do anything about it right now? or wait and see if it comes back. I did pay for the brake fluid to be flushed and give the mechanik synthetic fluid, I hope he did it, I am not 100% sure though.

Old 02-12-2012, 11:57 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 99 Likes on 92 Posts

You must be new here. At the top of the discovery 2 is a sticky concerning the three amigos. Its may be a 1000 thing, if you wanna spend that kinda money. I fixed two trucks for about $15 in supplies and about 3 hours.

Old 02-12-2012, 12:14 PM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

Yes, you need to deal with it before the 3 lights stay on.
Send me your number if you want some help with this.

Old 02-12-2012, 12:16 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts

I had a 3 amigos scare a while back and it was because of a wheel sensor. Get it checked out but it might be something as simple as that.

Old 02-12-2012, 05:07 PM
2nd Gear

Got my 04 checked out last week due to the 3 amigos lighting up my dash. Ended up being the front right wheel sensor and about $300. Definitely get it looked at before it gets worse.

Old 02-12-2012, 11:56 PM
Rock Crawling

Thank you Mike for the call and advise. I will look at my brake pads and rotors and changed them if needed and hope that light will not come up again.
An update for every body, Miked asked me if my brakes are making any noise and they do only in reverse when partially depressed and as mentioned the lights came up after I backed up and I might have driven for like a foot with the hand brakes on.

Old 02-13-2012, 03:08 AM
Rock Crawling
Default Update

Went to check the brake fluid and found that the reservoir was full to the top and found a leak underneath, see pictures.
1. is it possible that my 3 amigos might be related to the overfield reservoir and the subsequent leak?
2. Before the recent brake fluid flush, the area was bone dry and no leak, when I remove some of the fluid so the level is at the appropriate mark, will this resolve the leak?
3. If the answer to 2 is no, what do I need to do about the leak?

Attached Thumbnails 3 Amigos scare-2brakefluidleak.jpg   3 Amigos scare-3brakefluidleak.jpg   3 Amigos scare-4brakefluidleak.jpg   3 Amigos scare-1brakefluidleak.jpg  
Old 02-13-2012, 07:48 AM
Overlanding

I had a similiar incident Sat night pulling in my driveway. Temp was in the low 20s and the DiscoII had been sitting all week. Put the truck in park and all of the sudden my instrument panel looked like a Christmas tree. I shut off the engine, restarted and they disappeared.

Gents, I looked for the sticky at the top of the posts and did not see it. Would you mind directing me to a list of possible causes and fixes? I probably do need new front brakes and I did have to add brake fluid about two months ago.

Thanks!
Rob

Old 02-13-2012, 09:26 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 84 Likes on 73 Posts

hhalimi,
1. The Amigos are NOT related to the brake fluid being overfilled
2. If the brake fluid was flushed at a shop, it is possible that what you are seeing under the reservoir is merely spilled fluid from the flush. I would use a turkey baster or something similar to lower the fluid to the correct level, clean the fluid from the outside, drive it, and see if it returns.
3. See the suggestion above.

Old 02-13-2012, 11:20 AM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by vandyboy
Gents, I looked for the sticky at the top of the posts and did not see it. Would you mind directing me to a list of possible causes and fixes? I probably do need new front brakes and I did have to add brake fluid about two months ago.

Thanks!
Rob
I can't believe how you could have missed it, it is right there the first thread
BTW I missed it too, and I am doubtfull I will be able to do it in a whole day.
here it is:
https://landroverforums.com/forum/di...s-fault-26847/

Quick Reply: 3 Amigos scare