Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

3 bells... What does it mean?

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2008, 01:35 PM
Winching
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default 3 bells... What does it mean?

I've been driving my '03 Disco for a year now and this is the first time this has happened. I'm driving along in traffic sometimes slow and sometimes out on the freeway and I hear a 3 bell chime, the bells are about a second apart and come from somewhere in the center of the dashboard area. They are kind of a soft tone, like on some American cars that tells you that a door is a jar or a seatbelt is undone. THey sound like the typical first note of the average door bell, like ding, ding ding (no dong).There are no warning lights or symbols on my dash cluster, nothing, just the 3 bell chime. Then it happens a few minutes later. First time I heard it I thought it was something on the radio so I turned it off. I still get the chimes. It's also not the warning whent he 3 Amigo lights come on because that happens to me every now and then if the break pads are dusty and it goes away.

Any ideas?

Old 11-18-2008, 02:09 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: 3 bells... What does it mean?

Mine does it once in a while, and its always when I start the truck that the 3 chimes are heard. Could be wrong, but I think that it is SLS related. I removed my SLS and the dealer reseted the ecu but it still does it sometimes.

Old 11-18-2008, 03:15 PM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

You need to pay attention the the instrument cluster for warning lights when this happens.
Does this happen at all when braking, that is when I have heard it, sometimes the 3 Amigos will come on for a minute then go off.

Old 11-18-2008, 03:34 PM
Winching
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Hi Mike, Glad to see you still monitor things here. I'm aware of the three Amigo's as they are so aptly named. Once and awhile in the summer here when it is hot and dusty mine come on for a few minutes. But if I pull over and shut the vehicle off and restart it they go off and may not come on for weeks or even a few months again. I've never noticed any difference in braking during these times and since they come and go in dusty conditions I have assumed that the sensors are dusty and the condition triggers the 3 A's. Whatever I am hearing is different, much softer in tone to the beep when you start your engine or when the 3 A lights come on. I even though it was my cell phone with some new kind of ring tone. And no lights come on anywhere.

Well, if no one else has ever had this happen 'm just losing my grip or something, it's been a rough month here!!

Old 11-18-2008, 03:45 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When you start the engine do all of the dash lights illuminate? Maybe there is a fuse, or light that needs replacement. I would think if you hear audible sounds there should be an accompanying light to go with it.

Old 11-18-2008, 06:50 PM
Recovery Vehicle

As I said, its either SLS, or ABS related. The 3 chimes will sound if you attempt or request off-road lift when i is not appropriate, or if a fault is found in the abs system. You can continue driving, but be aware that the abs might not work.

Old 11-18-2008, 10:28 PM
Rock Crawling

A similar tone is emitted when a transmission fault is detected. Consider taking it in and having fault codes read to see if you can unearth something.

Old 11-19-2008, 08:33 AM
Recovery Vehicle

From the Rave cd, when 3 chimes are emitted, it is in regards to sls and/or abs. Any other faults will have another chime pattern.

Old 11-19-2008, 10:50 AM
Winching
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pretty sure it is the brakes/ABS....