Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

3 chimes, no lights, no codes ???

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2009, 06:20 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question 3 chimes, no lights, no codes ???

Guys, As the titles says, My D2 has gone nuts in the last week.

I get in, turn the engine on-------Nothing, no chimes.

I press the brake pedal to select the transmission------3 chimes

It doesn't mather which gear I select -------3 chimes

Then all goes normally until sometimes as I press the brake pedal again cause I'm coming to my first stop after what happens above------3 chimes

It will do it for a few days, then one day, Nothing!!! completely silent. Then the day after it's back.

No lights in the dash, no codes on my obd2 reader.

The ABS works fine ( I've tested it since there's work being done in a street on my daily commute and I puposely try to lock the wheels). Did the brakes and changed rotors for slotted and cross drilled ones with ceramic pads 1 1/2 month ago. Super performance and no brake dust.

The transmission shifts smoothly as usual and I've done the filter and mobil 1 synthetic 2 years ago.

Oh ya, it's the same 3 rapid chimes as when I activate the CDL. but of course that's not it, I even removed the fuse to make sure it wasn't coming on without the dash light coming on. But it's the same chimes.

So ???? WTF

Last edited by Darover; 11-04-2009 at 06:28 AM.
Old 11-04-2009, 08:02 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I suspect you have a bad switch on your transfercase shifter, or your HDC switch is on and you didn't notice it; I believe both of those use the same 3 chime indicator.

Old 11-04-2009, 08:50 AM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

do your dash lights work? do they have tape over them?

Old 11-04-2009, 03:20 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by hilltoppersx
do your dash lights work? do they have tape over them?

Ha,ha! no, no tape. I'm way too **** to ignore a light by putting tape on it. Yes the dash lights work. I've tested them. I did change both front and rear t-case output shaft seals lately an topped up the fluid. But that was about a month ago and the problem is more recent than that ( about a week)

I'll try putting the t-case in low and drive a few hundred feet and then put it back to 4 high to see if it changes anything.

Old 11-04-2009, 07:30 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

This is actually explained in your owners manual.
It is a fault with your SLS or ABS, I forget which.
But it is covered in your owners manual.

Old 11-05-2009, 12:43 AM
Recovery Vehicle

The manual says 3 chimes is ABS related. But manual doesn't know that the truck has been equipped with a solenoid locking CDL. As said, those 3 chimes come on everytime I push the CDL button. Those same 3 chimes also sound when you press the hill descent button.

There is no ABS light in the dash like manual says should come on with the 3 chimes, and the ABS work perfectly as opposed to what the manual says. It says that the light should come on with the 3 chimes, and that ABS is disabled. And it isn't !?!

Old 11-05-2009, 08:20 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Engaging HDC while in Hi range will give you that error sound; HDC won't engage in Hi.

It's likely that if you engage the CDL while the truck is on, you'll also get that error, I *think*, based on what I've read: how TC and such behave in the face of CDL depends on whether you engage it with the truck on or off.

IIRC: TC and such are disabled *if you start the truck with the CDL engaged*. If you start the truck, *then* lock the diff, they stay on, against LR's intentions. :-)

Most of the "how to add a CDL linkage" pages explain this.

Old 11-05-2009, 12:26 PM
Recovery Vehicle

My CDL is solenoid operated. It allows me to lock the t-case in 4 high and 4 low. Evrytime I push the button to lock the t-case, the light comes on and the 3 chimes are heard and you can feel it pulling. I'm sure the 3 chimes at that moment are not to signal an error, but more to inform the driver that it is from then on in operation, in case it was pushed by mistake and cause damage.

Old 11-06-2009, 11:25 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Found it last night !!!!!

Turns out the little wire of the alternator had come loose !?! Found it out while testing the alternator. For a moment I thought the alternator was gone, until I checked the connections and BAMMMM! ''there was light'' found that wire loose, put it back in its place thight and snug and no more chimes.

Old 11-06-2009, 11:57 AM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

we would have never guessed that

Quick Reply: 3 chimes, no lights, no codes ???