Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

3" OME: spring seat or spacer in rear?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2010, 07:40 PM
Winching
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by oysterhead
yes, at some point.

but don't want to be nose-high in the meantime.
Sounds like you have some serious thinking to do... Mine is riding high for now but it doesn't bother me at all and I know I will get the bumper/winch soon enough.

Good Luck man-

Old 04-07-2010, 08:14 PM
Winching
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

well, i know mike and others are running 751f/762r with D1 spring seats in the rear and are level.

they're running front bumper and winch, but the D1 spring seat is supposedly 3/8". i also think they have gear in the back.

i figure by adding a 1" spacer that i'd make up the difference, and sit level.

Old 04-08-2010, 12:02 AM
Winching

well, i know mike and others are running 751f/762r with D1 spring seats in the rear and are level.

they're running front bumper and winch, but the D1 spring seat is supposedly 3/8". i also think they have gear in the back.

i figure by adding a 1" spacer that i'd make up the difference, and sit level.

Maybe I am confused, did you mean you will be using both the D1 seat and a 1in spacer? Then when you get the bumper you will remove the spacer or go back to the D2 seat?

Old 04-08-2010, 07:17 AM
Winching

No, I'll just be running a 1" spacer in the rear.

My point is that I'm starting out 5/8" higher than Mike et al. in the rear (i.e., the spacer is 5/8" taller than the 3/8" D1 spring seat).

So I'm hoping that 5/8" will make up for the fact that i don't have a winch bumper, and I'll sit level.

Old 04-08-2010, 08:21 AM
Winching

No, I'll just be running a 1" spacer in the rear.

My point is that I'm starting out 5/8" higher than Mike et al. in the rear (i.e., the spacer is 5/8" taller than the 3/8" D1 spring seat).

So I'm hoping that 5/8" will make up for the fact that i don't have a winch bumper, and I'll sit level.

Got It... Please post some pictures once you get this on and don't forget to take measurements from the center of the wheel to the wheel well's so you know for sure.

I am very curious at this point and can't wait to see if your theory will pan out. I think the front will ride just a little high but will look just fine and won't even really be noticeable.

Old 04-09-2010, 06:31 AM
Winching

i'll do wheel well measurements to evaluate lift before and after...

but in terms of whether the rear is dragging....the wheel wells are slightly different front and rear, right? so, how to measure? put a level on the factory roof rack?

Old 04-09-2010, 10:26 AM
Winching

i'll do wheel well measurements to evaluate lift before and after...

but in terms of whether the rear is dragging....the wheel wells are slightly different front and rear, right? so, how to measure? put a level on the factory roof rack?
Yes you are right there is more "wheel gap" from the factory on the front over the rear of the truck.

All you have to do is take your measurements from the dead center of the wheel to the bottom of the fender. Do this on all 4 corners on a level surface. Then when you have installed the new suspension do the same. To find out if the front or rear is sitting high you just have to take the difference between your front stock and your front with OME. Next you take the difference between the rear stock and the rear OME. If you raised the truck evenly front to back the differences between the two should be the same. This method can also test if you are listing side to side before and after, just use your left and right measurements like you did the front to back.

Here is a made up example using round numbers:

Stock Truck:
10in in the front
9in in the rear

New Suspension:
13in in the front
11.5in in the rear

The difference in the front is 3in and the difference in the rear is 2.5in, so I am now running a half inch higher in the front then the back. Does this all make sense?

There is actually a chart somewhere on discoweg.org with where to measure and lots of people have already provided measurements of their trucks with about every suspension combo out there. I can't seem to find it though...

Old 04-10-2010, 10:38 PM
Winching

yeah, that should work for relative height difference: pre- versus post-lift.

i was thinking absolute measurements to see if the truck is truly level...

while waiting for the Old Man to arrive, I took some pics comparing the 245/75 to the 265/75s. not subtle.

Old 04-12-2010, 08:42 AM
Winching

yeah, that should work for relative height difference: pre- versus post-lift.

i was thinking absolute measurements to see if the truck is truly level...

while waiting for the Old Man to arrive, I took some pics comparing the 245/75 to the 265/75s. [/IMG]
How would you find "truly level" on a brand new truck?

Would you consider your truck, as it sits stock, "truly level"?