Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

3" vs 2" OME ---> Help!

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2011, 11:40 PM
TReK
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 3" vs 2" OME ---> Help!

It's FINALLY time for a lift/tires and I'm narrowing things down here at the last minute second guessing myself along the way. Already decided and I'm going with the ole faithful OME (along with Duratracs) so no brand debate needed, but I am floundering a little on the size of lift. I was initially decided on the medium duty 2" OME, but after looking at picture after picture, I started noticing that in some cases the 2" doesn't appear to give much more than an inch or so of lift and I have starting exploring the idea of the 3" kit, which I've read actually comes out closer to a truer 2" lift. Who's running a 3" OME kit and do you have pictures, or tell me why I shouldn't opt for the 3"

(No HD bumpers planned for the near future, but a winch bumper could be an eventual possibility)

As always, thanks in advance for any and all input.

Old 02-03-2011, 12:16 AM
TReK
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

The 2" lift gives you an actual 1.5" lift over stock. If you plan on getting a winch bumper ever you need the heavy duty springs. Do you need 3" of lift? Are you serious into offroading and need the extra room? If so then get the 3" lift and longer brake lines and abs extensions. Having had the 2" medium duty lift from OME I can't really see wanting a 3" lift for everyday driving.

Old 02-03-2011, 08:55 AM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by lipadj46
The 2" lift gives you an actual 1.5" lift over stock. If you plan on getting a winch bumper ever you need the heavy duty springs. Do you need 3" of lift? Are you serious into offroading and need the extra room? If so then get the 3" lift and longer brake lines and abs extensions. Having had the 2" medium duty lift from OME I can't really see wanting a 3" lift for everyday driving.
I agree on everything stated above.

if you plan on getting a winch bumper you will nee the HD springs. If you don't want the weight of an HD bumper look at DAP's hidden winch mount.

Old 02-03-2011, 09:43 AM
Winching

Originally Posted by yloDiscoII
It's FINALLY time for a lift/tires and I'm narrowing things down here at the last minute second guessing myself along the way. Already decided and I'm going with the ole faithful OME (along with Duratracs) so no brand debate needed, but I am floundering a little on the size of lift. I was initially decided on the medium duty 2" OME, but after looking at picture after picture, I started noticing that in some cases the 2" doesn't appear to give much more than an inch or so of lift and I have starting exploring the idea of the 3" kit, which I've read actually comes out closer to a truer 2" lift. Who's running a 3" OME kit and do you have pictures, or tell me why I shouldn't opt for the 3"

(No HD bumpers planned for the near future, but a winch bumper could be an eventual possibility)

As always, thanks in advance for any and all input.
Is the Disco your only car, your daily-driver? If yes, a 2" lift w/ HD OME springs would probably be wise. BUT, if it's not your daily driver and you really want to enjoy the PacNW with it... go for 3"!!! I have 2" on my truck now and am contemplating the move up to 3. Most of the guys on Dweb either have 3" or wish they did. If you call Rovertym about a 3" lift, they'll want to sell you about $3000 worth of kit.

Even if you don't go with a heavy winch bumper, you already have a fair amount of extra weight on your truck- i.e., factory brush-bar, rack, ladder, etc.

HERE... This is exactly what you need!
http://www.discoweb.org/forums/showt...ferrerid=14195

Oh, by the way, I LOVE your yellow truck- looks awesome!

Last edited by Disco_Fever; 02-03-2011 at 10:03 AM.
Old 02-03-2011, 10:48 AM
TReK

Originally Posted by lipadj46
....Do you need 3" of lift? Are you serious into offroading and need the extra room? If so then get the 3" lift and longer brake lines and abs extensions. Having had the 2" medium duty lift from OME I can't really see wanting a 3" lift for everyday driving.
There's a lot of things I don't really need I haven't had the time to do much serious off-roading (yet) in this Disco due to work commitments, so camping, FS roads, logging roads, are the extent of my adventuring so far, but this summer is fast approaching and I am finally going to have the free time to get out and push it a little bit.

Oddly enough it is my wife (all 5'2" of her) that has convinced me to even look at the 3". She drive's it on a daily basis due to her much shorter commute to work. She contracted the Land Rover sickness after driving the Disco for a couple weeks and likes the look of the 3" kit over the 2" kit. I've heard with the 3" OME kit it isn't absolutely necessary to extend the brake or ABS lines at all, is that bad intel? I am planning on SS brake lines no matter what I do.

Originally Posted by hilltoppersx
I agree on everything stated above.

if you plan on getting a winch bumper you will nee the HD springs. If you don't want the weight of an HD bumper look at DAP's hidden winch mount.
I think if I upgrade it will be the hidden winch, or the smaller TREK/G4 style winch tray. I like the look of my Saudi bumper so I'll probably end up going custom....eventually, first thing on the "to do" is suspension.

Originally Posted by Disco_Fever
Is the Disco your only car, your daily-driver? If yes, a 2" lift w/ HD OME springs would probably be wise. BUT, if it's not your daily driver and you really want to enjoy the PacNW with it... go for 3"!!! I have 2" on my truck now and am contemplating the move up to 3. Most of the guys on Dweb either have 3" or wish they did. If you call Rovertym about a 3" lift, they'll want to sell you about $3000 worth of kit.

Even if you don't go with a heavy winch bumper, you already have a fair amount of extra weight on your truck- i.e., factory brush-bar, rack, ladder, etc.

HERE... This is exactly what you need!
http://www.discoweb.org/forums/showt...ferrerid=14195

Oh, by the way, I LOVE your yellow truck- looks awesome!
Thanks D-F. I have been obsessed (to put it mildly) with Yellow Disco's since I can remember and now I finally have one and don't think I will ever be able get rid of it.

Disco is the wife's daily driver currently, so On-Road manners and comfort are important, which is why I was looking at the medium duty lift, but you're right about the added weight already. I will be mounting my Hi-Lift on the brush guard as well, once it stops effing raining every day. I just don't want that "man I wish I had gone with the _______" moment.

I think the decision with depend heavily on the ABS line/brake line upgrade. If both of those HAVE to be done in order for the 3" kit to even fit, I will probably opt for the 2" as I'm sure that's all we really need. Any one know for sure if extending everything is an absolute must?

Old 02-03-2011, 10:54 AM
TReK

Here's (NOT MY TRUCK) a decent before/after of a BEAUTIFUL Kalahari with the OME HD kit and 265 75's from Columbia Rovers in Portland. I like the stance, but beyond the tires, it doesn't seem like a huge height change to me.

Old 02-03-2011, 10:59 AM
Winching

Originally Posted by yloDiscoII

I think the decision with depend heavily on the ABS line/brake line upgrade. If both of those HAVE to be done in order for the 3" kit to even fit, I will probably opt for the 2" as I'm sure that's all we really need. Any one know for sure if extending everything is an absolute must?
For what it's worth, I know someone personally with +3" OME springs on his '04 D2 and that is ALL. No new shocks, no extended brake lines, no changes to driveline/steering components. That is certainly not a recommended setup, BUT it does show that you can start with springs and shocks and go from there. You don't HAVE to spend $3000 with Rovertym all at once. He does say that the truck rides like **** because his shocks are too short, so you really should do springs and shocks at the very least. For the money, you should definitely email the seller "lunchbox" over on Dweb... That sounds perfect for you and is about the same as what you'd spend on 2" OME shocks/springs.

Old 02-03-2011, 11:39 AM
TReK

Originally Posted by Disco_Fever
For what it's worth, I know someone personally with +3" OME springs on his '04 D2 and that is ALL. No new shocks, no extended brake lines, no changes to driveline/steering components. That is certainly not a recommended setup, BUT it does show that you can start with springs and shocks and go from there. You don't HAVE to spend $3000 with Rovertym all at once. He does say that the truck rides like **** because his shocks are too short, so you really should do springs and shocks at the very least. For the money, you should definitely email the seller "lunchbox" over on Dweb... That sounds perfect for you and is about the same as what you'd spend on 2" OME shocks/springs.
Thanks for the input, good to know it would work, although I will be doing springs, shocks, steering damper all at once, then upgrading the brake lines within the next few months, it's just a matter of $$$ for that. Thanks for the suggestion on mr "lunchbox" I'll see what he's got going on. I had never signed up on Dweb so I my permissions are VERY limited.

Old 02-03-2011, 11:39 AM
TReK

Originally Posted by davem
have a look at the news article pdf http://www.phantom.uk.net/vehicle-remapping-explained
F*** you spammer.

Old 02-03-2011, 12:11 PM
Winching
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by hilltoppersx
DAP's hidden winch mount.
I did not even know that product existed....that's awesome.

learn something every day. that's the way I would/will go someday.

Quick Reply: 3" vs 2" OME ---> Help!