Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

3" vs 2" OME ---> Help!

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2011, 12:39 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

their website is not very good but for someone who doesnt want to spend a ton on a steel winch bumper it's a great alternative.

Old 02-03-2011, 04:14 PM
TReK
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Anyone have any pics of a 3" OME? I've seen some on D-Web, but it's hard to get a good look on what it actually looks like since all their pics are on uneven ground.

Old 02-03-2011, 06:05 PM
Winching

Originally Posted by yloDiscoII
Anyone have any pics of a 3" OME? I've seen some on D-Web, but it's hard to get a good look on what it actually looks like since all their pics are on uneven ground.

LOL

Yeah, Dweb doesn't allow driveway pics...

Old 02-03-2011, 06:30 PM
TReK

having just done to swap to duratracs and a OME 2" medium lift i can tell you i am perfectly pleased with the set up. a bit stiff on road, but off road it hits and soaks up bumps,ruts, and holes easily. plenty of height to get over anything i need it for. and i went from a 29" tall tire to a 32" so i gained some height on sidewall as well as sprung height.

3" is overkill in 99% of the applications.

Old 02-03-2011, 10:37 PM
TReK

Originally Posted by sloppyjoe
.....3" is overkill in 99% of the applications.
Kind of what I'm worried about. I think I'm going to stick with my original plan and go with the 2" kit and throw some spacers in the rear to level it out since I'm not going to have anything too heavy up front and I do not want the saggy a$$.

Thanks for the input. I am definitely going with Duratracs white lettering OUT.

Anyone have any idea if spacers in the rear would be a bad idea?

Old 02-04-2011, 08:34 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Can I just point out that when lifting the car with either 1" spacers, 2" or even 3" inch springs ....it has ZERO effect on the brake lines and ABS wires.

The length of those 2 need ONLY be addressed if you fit shocks with an extended / longer travel than the factory shocks. The shock is what limits the axle travel and governs everything else.

So IGNORE anyone who says "I have a 3" lift and have no issues with ABS or brake lines"....... because its the SHOCKS that matter.

So until you know what "that person" has done with the shocks, I would take it as hearsay. I "Believe" even OME shocks dont allow that much more travel than the factory shocks, have not seen one to compare tbh, but thats "probably" why people don't / need to extended anything as in general OME stuff is designed as a direct replacement and if the extensions to the ABS and Brake lines were required Im 100% sure that ARB would state that in the details / instructions that come with the shocks.

As an example......I have OME779's and SLS spacers on mine which give about 1.75" of lift, I also have +2" Extended terrafirma shocks, which 100% required brake line extensions as they allow the axle to drop significantly further. The front ABS lines can be re-positioned to give enough length (just), but with the rears on mine that was not possible, so they have been extended by about 2" as 1 was nearly disconnected on a "play day".

Last edited by Urban Panzer; 02-04-2011 at 08:41 AM.
Old 02-04-2011, 09:30 AM
Winching
Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Urban Panzer
...As an example......I have OME779's and SLS spacers on mine which give about 1.75" of lift, I also have +2" Extended terrafirma shocks, which 100% required brake line extensions as they allow the axle to drop significantly further. The front ABS lines can be re-positioned to give enough length (just), but with the rears on mine that was not possible, so they have been extended by about 2" as 1 was nearly disconnected on a "play day".

I'm glad you chimed in on this UP...I've just ordered a 3" TF lift with their +2" shocks, and was going to delay upgrading to the extended brake lines. Based on the above, I guess I'll need to bump them up my list of mods...

Old 02-04-2011, 09:39 AM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Nick, Did you disconnect your sway bars in the rear? is that why you have so much articulation?

Old 02-04-2011, 10:37 AM
Winching

Originally Posted by Urban Panzer

So IGNORE anyone who says "I have a 3" lift and have no issues with ABS or brake lines"....... because its the SHOCKS that matter.

So until you know what "that person" has done with the shocks, I would take it as hearsay....
For the record, my friend that has the 3" springs is on factory shocks, like I said in the original post...

Old 02-04-2011, 12:26 PM
TReK

Thanks for the input UP.

DF, that is the way I interpreted you post so no worries, you didn't lead me astray in any way. I'm ordering a TF steering stabilizer today to get that started, then springs & shocks next week (or the week after) when my new credit card comes in, going to rack up some airline miles REAL quick

......man I REALLY love the stance of a true 2"+ of lift.

Quick Reply: 3" vs 2" OME ---> Help!