Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

3D Printed Drip Rail Finishers

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2018, 05:56 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 167 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by scsand
ok. I had a CAD drafter, based on pics and feedback (he was in china), create 2 files that a 3D printer can use to print the left and right drip rail finishers. Links to the 2 stl files are below

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Ni...8hiZ-xEkJlwFib
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1w6...13sOZ1QWqOOMoG

(Let me know if you have issues with the links)

The pics are a comparison between the 3d printed drivers side (red) and an original (black). Of course they will need spray painting and maybe a little sanding but I think they will work.

I have not tried to install yet. I release these to anyone for reproduction in any manner they choose. If someone is proficient in CAD feel free to tweak these.

Also the passengers side is just a reverse image of the drivers.. I have not printed that out yet as I have to use my public library and it takes a while.. I'll submit that today. I'll post new files if there are any major changes.

thanks!
Awesome!
Originally Posted by mln01
Great (work) Scott!

So now we have 3D printed window rollers and 3D printed drip rail finishers and, from Abran, 3D printed intake tubes. What do we need next? I've not had any problem with the A-pillar trim but I recall others have had trouble and good ones are scarce as hen's teeth.
I think we need a sub-forum for these kinds of things.

Old 06-28-2018, 08:32 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 17 Likes on 7 Posts

I agree about the sub-forum to house these.

Another good piece of info. I used upwork.com to hire a Mechanical Engineer from China to do the CAD drawings (Total cost was $100) . I was frustrated I couldn't ever find the passenger side piece and wanted to try to resolve once and for all

Very good experience. He was able to do it from 4-5 photo's and "back and forth" feedback once I had the items printed. Would have gone a lot faster had I had my own 3d printer.

The following users liked this post:
No Doubt (06-29-2018)
Old 06-29-2018, 05:24 PM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by scsand
ok. I had a CAD drafter, based on pics and feedback (he was in china), create 2 files that a 3D printer can use to print the left and right drip rail finishers. Links to the 2 stl files are below

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Ni...8hiZ-xEkJlwFib
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1w6...13sOZ1QWqOOMoG

(Let me know if you have issues with the links)

The pics are a comparison between the 3d printed drivers side (red) and an original (black). Of course they will need spray painting and maybe a little sanding but I think they will work.

I have not tried to install yet. I release these to anyone for reproduction in any manner they choose. If someone is proficient in CAD feel free to tweak these.

Also the passengers side is just a reverse image of the drivers.. I have not printed that out yet as I have to use my public library and it takes a while.. I'll submit that today. I'll post new files if there are any major changes.

thanks!
Nice results there. Far better than my drip gutter finishers which are split to hell on each corner but for the price of new LR parts they can go whistle.

Old 06-16-2019, 06:51 AM
Winching
Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts

Any updates here? My rear corners are shot

Old 06-16-2019, 01:46 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 458 Likes on 270 Posts

A windshield cowl at a reasonable price would be great.

Old 06-17-2019, 06:34 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 166 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by Discorama
There are no consumer level printers that would be able to print them. They are too big for the printing bed.

if a shop with a large enough printer did them, maybe but it would take all day to print it.

Fiberglass would be way cheaper and faster

Old 06-17-2019, 07:24 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 848 Likes on 633 Posts

How did I missed this post?!
Originally Posted by Ben Matheson
Any updates here? My rear corners are shot
I'd like to know also about these getting made @CaptainAaron

Originally Posted by Discorama
There is a Ebay seller in Malaysia who sells his fiberglass Disco 2 cowls for $150 + $88 shipping worldwide.
https://www.rexypowparts.com/product...el-cowl-plenum

Last edited by JUKE179r; 06-17-2019 at 07:31 AM.
Old 06-17-2019, 10:06 AM
Winching
Received 44 Likes on 34 Posts

For anyone who doesn't have a local 3D printer there are plenty of services online that you can upload your file to and get printed and shipped to you. www.makexyz.com is one. I've been working on some CAD items for the dash and console area. The opportunities are endless.

Old 06-17-2019, 10:23 AM
Winching
Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts

Large parts are not feasible but I'm still shocked no one has started making the front and back drip rail corners

Old 06-17-2019, 06:27 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 458 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by JUKE179r
How did I missed this post?!

There is a Ebay seller in Malaysia who sells his fiberglass Disco 2 cowls for $150 + $88 shipping worldwide.
https://www.rexypowparts.com/product...el-cowl-plenum
They are different and useless in my opinion, because the cabin air intake vents are missing.

Quick Reply: 3D Printed Drip Rail Finishers