Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

3D Printed Drip Rail Finishers

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2021, 01:12 PM
Overlanding
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default No better time than now for 3D parts!

Hey all -

I'm reviving this thread a bit because, after years of hunting, scrounging through the junkyards, I'm at wit's end with the plastic bits. I've dealt over and over with the A-Pillars, eventually plopping down 250 bucks after gluing on several sets from junkyards. And on and on, there's fewer Disco's showing up in the junkyards, and more and more they're the ones that have been so neglected that most of the trim pieces are trash.

So I decided to come back to this thread. It's a couple years on, and there's a lot providers on Fiverr for instance offering 3D scanning, so I'm going to see what I can get going.

For me, I'm starting with:

Rear drip corner pieces (L+R)
Right horn button

I'm communicating with a kid on Fiverr now, it seems I can just send him the piece, he'll scan it, then I can have it printed here in L.A., even at the library. It seems that the scanning and file creation will be about $50.00, and the part is under $2.00 US to print.

I'm thinking it'd be great if we could come together and create a library as the OP suggested, using parts that some of us have on hand to have scanned, and going forward we'll all have a library of files to access, obviously at a much, much, reduced cost.

I wonder who'd be interested in maybe coming together once a solid solution is found to even maybe get bulk discounts on scanning or to send in parts to be scanned?

The following users liked this post:
Mntnceguy (10-10-2021)
Old 10-10-2021, 01:55 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 167 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by pwdiamond80
Hey all -

I'm reviving this thread a bit because, after years of hunting, scrounging through the junkyards, I'm at wit's end with the plastic bits. I've dealt over and over with the A-Pillars, eventually plopping down 250 bucks after gluing on several sets from junkyards. And on and on, there's fewer Disco's showing up in the junkyards, and more and more they're the ones that have been so neglected that most of the trim pieces are trash.

So I decided to come back to this thread. It's a couple years on, and there's a lot providers on Fiverr for instance offering 3D scanning, so I'm going to see what I can get going.

Right horn button

I'm communicating with a kid on Fiverr now, it seems I can just send him the piece, he'll scan it, then I can have it printed here in L.A., even at the library. It seems that the scanning and file creation will be about $50.00, and the part is under $2.00 US to print.

I'm thinking it'd be great if we could come together and create a library as the OP suggested, using parts that some of us have on hand to have scanned, and going forward we'll all have a library of files to access, obviously at a much, much, reduced cost.

I wonder who'd be interested in maybe coming together once a solid solution is found to even maybe get bulk discounts on scanning or to send in parts to be scanned?
Save yourself a buck on the horn button..
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3939042

Mntnceguy (10-10-2021)
Old 10-10-2021, 06:05 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,464 Likes on 1,040 Posts

When you print you need to consider the temperature resistance of the material. PLA does not do well at high temperatures.

uhoh_elmo (10-11-2021)
Old 07-29-2022, 04:39 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by pwdiamond80
Hey all -

Right horn button

Im in the process of doing a complete set for the Land Rover discovery 2 . Sides , back and front plus finishers . Will post when I have a set complete .

thx Chris

H Hill (07-30-2022)
Old 07-29-2022, 05:35 PM
Overlanding
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by vandev
Im in the process of doing a complete set for the Land Rover discovery 2 . Sides , back and front plus finishers . Will post when I have a set complete .

thx Chris
you’ll be a very popular person , Chris!

At lease around here

vandev (07-30-2022)
Old 08-14-2022, 01:21 PM
2nd Gear
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for this. Appreciated.

H Hill (08-15-2022)
Old 01-01-2023, 11:07 AM
7th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wondering if anything came about with this or are there any examples in use? My plastic is finally starting to show wear and become brittle...

Great thread hope it keeps/gains traction. Seems these things are desperately needed.

Old 01-01-2023, 11:30 AM
2nd Gear
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I forgot to post after doing..................I took the 3D printing file to mt library, and they printed the drip rail finishers in ABS plastic. I took the old one to Home Depot and they mixed up a paint hat came close to matching. Below are pics.....not perfect but from 10 ft OK......

The following 3 users liked this post by Jag1000:
acg (01-01-2023), Mntnceguy (01-01-2023), Richard Gallant (01-02-2023)
Old 01-01-2023, 11:32 AM
7th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for posting!

Old 02-28-2023, 05:44 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,464 Likes on 1,040 Posts

Did anyone ever model and print the rear corners?

Quick Reply: 3D Printed Drip Rail Finishers