Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

3D Printed Drip Rail Finishers

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2019, 10:42 PM
Mudding
Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

Very nice, I'm gonna look into getting them printed. Has anyone done this for the rears?

Old 06-18-2019, 09:02 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 167 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by robert.juric
For anyone who doesn't have a local 3D printer there are plenty of services online that you can upload your file to and get printed and shipped to you. www.makexyz.com is one. I've been working on some CAD items for the dash and console area. The opportunities are endless.
I had these printed through Makexyz. The quality doesn't seem to be great, I think it's either a setting in the file or maybe the maker took shortcuts. It looks like the part is kind of hollow, I can see the individual passes of filament inside of the part. Kind of like this
I'll do some sanding on them to smooth off the exterior ridges and see how it looks after.

Old 06-18-2019, 09:36 AM
Winching
Received 44 Likes on 34 Posts

You printed these CAD files through makexyz.com or something else?

Alot depends on the type of printing you choose:
https://www.makexyz.com/printer-serv...nting-services

Old 06-18-2019, 10:03 AM
Recovery Vehicle

You printed these CAD files through makexyz.com or something else?

Alot depends on the type of printing you choose:
https://www.makexyz.com/printer-serv...nting-services
Yes with Makexyz, using the settings that it had when I imported the files

Old 06-18-2019, 11:33 AM
Winching

The 100micron (0.1mm) isn't the greatest, even for FDM printing. If you really care to keep trying different printing sources you could find a service that could print as low as 0.05mm.

Or you could just sand it and then paint with a high-build primer and paint.

Considering where the part is I would just sand and prime+paint.

Old 06-18-2019, 01:06 PM
Recovery Vehicle

The 100micron (0.1mm) isn't the greatest, even for FDM printing. If you really care to keep trying different printing sources you could find a service that could print as low as 0.05mm.

Or you could just sand it and then paint with a high-build primer and paint.

Considering where the part is I would just sand and prime+paint.
I don't know anything about those settings or if they can be set lower. What do the settings mean and what would make a better print? I will keep these for now and maybe get a backup set printed.

Old 06-18-2019, 01:31 PM
Winching

The layer height is how thick each pass is when the object is 3d printed. A bigger layer means less, but more noticeable lines. The smaller the layer the more fine the lines.

FDM Printers can print from 50-400micron (0.05mm - 0.4mm), while SLA can print from 25-100micron (0.025mm - 0.1mm).

https://www.3dhubs.com/knowledge-bas...eight-3d-print

Rules of thumb

• Select a lower layer height for parts with curved surfaces or when visual appearance is important.
  • Higher layer height is faster and more cost-effective and will result in parts with improved mechanical properties.
  • If the parts will be post processed, layer height is not as important.

Old 08-13-2019, 11:15 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by scsand
ok. I had a CAD drafter, based on pics and feedback (he was in china), create 2 files that a 3D printer can use to print the left and right drip rail finishers. Links to the 2 stl files are below

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Ni...8hiZ-xEkJlwFib
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1w6...13sOZ1QWqOOMoG

(Let me know if you have issues with the links)

The pics are a comparison between the 3d printed drivers side (red) and an original (black). Of course they will need spray painting and maybe a little sanding but I think they will work.

I have not tried to install yet. I release these to anyone for reproduction in any manner they choose. If someone is proficient in CAD feel free to tweak these.

Also the passengers side is just a reverse image of the drivers.. I have not printed that out yet as I have to use my public library and it takes a while.. I'll submit that today. I'll post new files if there are any major changes.

thanks!

Big Thanks for posting this!!! A co-worker of mine has recently purchased a 3D printer and had been looking for something to print up, so he brought me the driver side drip rail today. Going to clean it up and install it this week. I'll report back how the install goes and how they hold up in a few months. If it works out, I'll be having him make a few. He stated that they are PLP plastic. (No idea what that is) but I'm extremely curious to see how they hold up as the plastic seems much sturdier than the OEM part.

That said— anyone working on the backside finishers?

Thanks again!

Old 08-13-2019, 02:24 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 253 Likes on 204 Posts

Originally Posted by Discorama
They are different and useless in my opinion, because the cabin air intake vents are missing.

they aren't that different and the fit on mine was great. the piece is much more sturdy than the original and if you want the fresh air vent you could quickly cut it in with an angle grinder.

Old 04-06-2021, 07:39 AM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bignacio
Very nice, I'm gonna look into getting them printed. Has anyone done this for the rears?
Any luck on getting the rear stl file???

Quick Reply: 3D Printed Drip Rail Finishers