Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

3rd Battery and Disco Won't Start! Help!

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2012, 01:59 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3rd Battery and Disco Won't Start! Help!

My Disco is down. I am on my 3rd battery, Interstate Mega Tron 11 MT-34 700CCA and 875 CA, showing 12.57 volts, and the engine won't trurn over now. The lights will come on but engine won't turn over. I am unable to pop the gas tank maybe indicating something electrical. It started with my radio lights staying on while the engine was shut off. I simply would take out the fuse but something was still draining the battery. What coule be the cause? Interior fuses all look good; fuses in the engine, F9 was blown and replaced. Would this be a starter, alternator, ground? I don't want to remove everything to find those items may still be good. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Lively
03 Disco Series 2, 86k miles.

Old 02-22-2012, 03:51 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

pull every fuse one by one and keep testing the battery in between until you find the one that is draining.

Old 02-22-2012, 03:59 PM
Super Moderator
Received 83 Likes on 80 Posts

Usually you can meter the battery, and by pulling the fuses when you hit the one with the drain, the volts will actually rise just a tad. If you start with the big ones in the underhood box, and the fuse links in there, they feed everything else in groups many times. If stray drain is small enough, you can put meter on amps and in series with battery lead, but sometimes you will draw so much current meter will blow a fuse. For those without a meter on the trail, a spare tail light bulb can be touched between the battery post and the battery cable. The high drain current will make the bulb glow, pull the right fuse and the light goes out.

Old 02-22-2012, 07:28 PM
Overlanding

Once I have determined what is whats the cause, whats the next step there? I am far away from being electrical savy. I have done brakes, rotors, water pumps but electrical is far from common knowledge.

Thanks for the pointers!

Old 02-22-2012, 08:05 PM
Super Moderator

With all your fun you may have triggered the alarm and are immobiloized. Try turning it off with fob if available, multiple times.

Old 02-23-2012, 05:14 AM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by lively
My Disco is down. I am on my 3rd battery, Interstate Mega Tron 11 MT-34 700CCA and 875 CA, showing 12.57 volts, and the engine won't trurn over now.
When you try to crank it do you hear the relay or starter solenoid clicking?

Old 02-23-2012, 05:26 AM
Super Moderator

And would be a plus if you could attach a charger and bring battery back up, if it goes too low you will have other problems. Avoid locking the truck (and as such turning on alarm) until resolved. Like Tom says, you should hear something, including fuel pump running for a few seconds when you switch on the key.

Old 02-23-2012, 09:12 AM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

Before you do anything thing, take that battery out and get a good 2 plus hour charge on it, it is too low at this point and should be up around 13.6 to 14.4 volts to allow the Ecu's to function.
Then have someone do a free charging system test at a local parts store, also check to see how much of a draw is on the battery when the key is off.

Old 02-23-2012, 10:14 AM
Overlanding

When I turn the key to crank it, there aren't any sounds...no clicking, etc.

I still haven't cranked my vehicle with this battery; is it just the wrong battery for an 03 LR Series 2?

The battery shows 12.57 without the cables attached and 12.38 with attached cables. I will charge it up an see if that does the trick but will still need to address what is causing the battery to drain.

I can open my sunroof but still no luck opening the gas tank for some odd reason.

Old 02-23-2012, 10:17 AM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

If you want some help, send me your number and I'll walk you thru what to check/do.

Quick Reply: 3rd Battery and Disco Won't Start! Help!