Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4.0 block or 350 conversion

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2012, 07:29 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4.0 block or 350 conversion

What started out as a head gasket repair on my 2000 Disco, has turned into a full on engine rebuild. That was until my machine shop informed me last week that my block has a crack where the lifters go, that they cannot get at to weld.

It started out with the HG, once opened up a handful of rockers did not look good. So, replaced all of them and figured might as well replace the shafts as well. Previous owner had overheated, so also sent the heads to the machine shop for check/resurface and valve job. Then a few lifters did not look good, so decided to replace all of them and read on here that new lifters without a new cam is a bad idea. So, performance cam and timing gear was ordered. As I went deeper and deeper into this engine, I had several "Already in here, might as well do it right" moments that have been pricey. Not to mention the Hawkeye diagnostic tool.

I have the benefit of having my Disco in my friend's service shop (He specializes in Honda/Acura). He has been very helpful and some of the specialty tools he has have been worth there weight in gold. Three of the piston sleeves/liners have pitting, so we sent the block/pistons off to the machine shop to be measured and get an estimate on putting top hat liners put in. Also, "While in there" get it pressure tested. Like I typed earlier, the block is toast.

I talked to a Rover performance shop that will put top hats in a block for $2500 plus shipping. The sleeves will purposely be small so as to bore out the best fit for the pistons (With new rings).

My friend is telling me that he would suggest letting the machine shop source and put all of the bearing in. That combined with boring the liners, I would probably be near another $1000 for the machine shop.

I have not really wanted to know, so I have not added it up, but I am sure I have already put $2000 into various engine components. Looking at another $3500 is not appealing.

When I mentioned to my friend that the block I was considering was $2500 and added on the other $1000 for machine shop, he said that I should seriously consider a Chevy 350 conversion. Which actually sounded like a pretty good idea. As I have searched around this site I have come across a few threads and read with passing interest as I did not think they were relevant to me. That changed last week. So, this weekend I spent several hours researching the conversion. I did come across the adapter kit from Australia. However, the lack of being able to find/read about some who had themselves actually done this conversion successfully, was not comforting. I could not find anything, not even a youtube from the other side of the world. Except for the one by Wolf who admitted it was a phony. Not even any pics/videos from Marks 4WD in Australia. Just several references like "We do it all the time in Australia" or "I saw a Disco that had it done".

Unless someone can direct me towards something more concrete, I am left to think that though the mounting adapter kit is available,the wiring, power steering, A/C, etc. problems are too much. I am totally open to this conversion if I can be provided real world info. Also, please no commenting/hating on whether this conversion should be done. I spent an hour reading all of the purist/modify bickering in hopes of some valid input. If it is doable, I am all in.

Also, being that the results of my 350 conversion research have been disappointing, if anyone has a used 4.0 block or knows of where I can get a top hat lined block, let me know. Or if a new block would be my best option, is it possible to get one in the US or do I have to get from the UK?

Thank you,
Ross

Old 01-16-2012, 07:43 PM
Rock Crawling

I don't know where you are, but I have an engine in a 2000 Disco that I use for parts. I would sell the engine but I am in New Brunswick, Canada. Have to figure out some shipping details. Let me know.

Old 01-17-2012, 06:57 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

the kits you see are for range rovers and discovery's correct?
what they dont say is it is for a discovery I, not a discovery II.

discovery I's have a lot less electronics and computers tha the II's have,
that is why you can not find any conversions done.

so first you need to figure out your electronics then you have to figure out what to do about your emissions testing, if required.

I think you'll have wait another 3-years before you see kits for a disco II, I only say that because that is when most states will consider the first of these vechicle an antique. which in a lot of states meens they back off the emisssions and just do safety checks.

Old 01-17-2012, 12:58 PM
Mudding

Personally i'd just try to source a new short block, have it tested and make sure it's in tip top shape first rather than go the whole 350 swap route.. Here in california we are really limited on what we can do as far as engine swaps. It has to be from the same year or newer with all the emissions related goodies.

Old 01-17-2012, 03:14 PM
TReK
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

For the reasons above, plus many more, engine conversions in DII's just aren't feasible unless you want to spend LOTS of money...LOTS and LOTS of money. Start looking for a replacement.

OR....

Toddco sells a 5.0 which I think would be really cool. Or you could try and track down a used 4.6 for a little more power.

Old 01-18-2012, 03:14 AM
Mudding

I am in a similiar position as you. My engine in my 03 Disco finally went bad and hydrolocked but started knocking bad after overheating. Turner Engineering was an option I was considering roughly $5000 for a short block with top hat liners. Too much for me at this time, took my chance by getting a used 4.6 motor with 86k for $3300. Currently being worked on this week. Getting a used 4.0 should be less. Owning a rover is a love/hate relationship.

Old 01-18-2012, 07:06 AM
Rock Crawling

A swap on a DII isn't something one does for the sake of economy, it's something you do just because - budget be damned.

CosCast makes Rover V8 shorts with the top-hats, I don't know of a US distributor but you may want to contact them and see as I'm sure there is one.

Personally, I think you're on the right path but certainly understand the frustration of another $3,500.

If you're going to keep the vehicle for a very long time I'd either do what you have proposed or do a new coscast block for slightly more $$. If I was only going to keep it for a couple of years I'd just throw a used motor in it and be done.

Where are you located?

Old 01-19-2012, 07:14 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

the short blocks that AB are selling are from CosCast.

Old 01-24-2012, 08:25 PM
4wd Low
Default Moving Forward,

Ordered a CANNiBal V8 short block from Car Cannibal. $4170 shipped. Should be here Friday.

Going to clean up the front cover and sump between now and then. Also, do the interior install and run the cables for the GlowShift guages (Oil pressure and Water Temp.) into the engine compartment.

I rebuilt my rocker arms with new shaft and rockers, using old springs and rocker shaft. Is reusing those parts a bad idea? Also, do I need to order/use a shim kit on the rocker shaft?

Thanks,

Ross

Next project, my 1994 Honda CBR 600F2 that has been garaged since 2000.

Old 01-25-2012, 07:17 AM
Rock Crawling

On the rockers, it's one of those where if you replace one component you should replace all. The springs aren't that big of an issue but if you've gone to all that trouble might as well.

To the shim kit: Technically yes you should check the pre-load on all the lifters and use the shim kit to average the difference to within tolerance. BUT, since you're not building a performance engine and bumping up the rev limiter its not that much of an issue. It's really your call.

Quick Reply: 4.0 block or 350 conversion