Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4 Problems solved? Lack of Power, Auto Shifting, Starting Issue & Leaking Sun Roof

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2010, 02:59 AM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4 Problems solved? Lack of Power, Auto Shifting, Starting Issue & Leaking Sun Roof

Hi,

I thought I would share some of my Disco 2 V8 issues and solutions with you...

Lack of Power...I was suffering from a lack of power up hill - it felt like a missfire...I consulted these forum pages and the comments seemed to suggest Plugs, Leads and Mass Air Flow Meter...

I changed the plugs and leads...I changed the leads without having to strip the intake off...just lie on top of the engine and feel...(I tried using a web cam on a lap top but could not see much) this took less than 1 hour. No real improvement...Just changed the MAF senso and the car is like a racing machine...all issues seem fixed...this leads me on to...

Auto Shifting Issues...I was convinced that the auto box was not changing up to top when it should...it would only shift up to top at approx. 2,500 RPM / 55MPH. Once there it would lock in top and then it would stay there even down to 1,300 RPM...I was convinced it should shift earlier if not under load. I serviced the box changing all the fluid twice and replacing the filter after removing the sump - this is an easy job and the sump removal, clean and filter change / refit only took 30 mins...No change to the shifting of the box in to top! I changed the MAF sensor (see above) and suddenly the box shifts better in all gears and finds top at lower revs and when not under load! For $120 from a LR dealer this change of MAF is a must - treat this item as a consumable - I will!

Starting Problem...I have just completed a 4,000 mile 7 week trip and arrived at the ferry port in Spain and parked my car in the boarding lane...turned off the engine...got out and tried to lock the car. It would not lock! Strange...tried to start the car...nothing! Became frantic and tried starting, locking, shifting...all nothing! An ex AA mechanic walked over to me and said that this was a common problem with Discoveries - he had seen it a lot...the immoboliser was being affected by strong radio signals from the ship / port. He had seen this a lot with cars parked close to police stations. He tried re-setting my alarm using the key in the door but no good. We pushed the car 30 meters turned the key and she started first time. Since then no issues...

Sun Roof Leakage...My car roof liner would act as a water resavoir sometimes when it rained but not always...I pulled the liner down, checked the drain tubes, all ok...tested with water and watched it come from the bottom of the car out of the drain tube exit. I changed the sun roof seals (frame to glass)...easy job - took 20 mins each...still leaked. The leaks only happened when the car was parked one way!!! I sealed the external sun roof plastic frame to the roof itself using a very good marine black sealant - you can hardly see the bead. This cured the problem instantly. The issue with my sun roof's was the seal between the sun roof and the steel roof.

I hope these comments help.

Old 02-27-2010, 09:01 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

thanks for taking the time to post results of your fixes

Old 02-27-2010, 12:50 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I changed my MAF a few days ago and the truck feels much faster and shifts better as well.