Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

50$(u.s.) short ram air intake for disco 2

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2012, 01:02 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 57 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by khork
tb warmer? explain that,yes it is a zip tie -i'll get around to that ,thanks for noticing,like i said it is way better than before performance wise so be negative all you want,i have not had a problem with water,also its my wife's ride anyway she dont go off road unless i call her to help me un-sink my jeep .you can come up with every reason why it wont work but i have done it and it works.
The TB warming plate is to prevent TB icing conditions when driving in high humidity, low ambient temperature conditions. As it's a localized warm spot in the induction tract, there isn't enough heat to substantially offset the temperature of the air mass as it passes that spot. It's absence, however, will make for an exciting ride should your wife encounter the aforementioned weather conditions. I hope for her sake, and that of her passengers, that you live in Arizona or Southern Nevada or somewhere equally warm and dry.

A practical analogy would be to direct the airflow of a fan across a hot plate, and measure the temperature of the air flow on either side.

On the other hand, with your HAI, your engine is inhaling an air mass that contains the waste heat from the largest heat exchanger on the truck (your radiator), not to mention the waste heat from the transmission and oil coolers, and the radiant heat from your exhaust manifold, and the engine itself.

Are you really going to stand here and try to compare the amount of heat a 3 square inch warming plate is going to impart, versus the amount of heat that all of the other things I just mentioned is going to impart? It's like comparing a bad fart to a hurricane... the two couldn't be any more disparate!

It might sound better than the factory air box, and you might have a scosche more throttle response, but I promise you that if you put your truck on a dyno (as compared to the butt dyno that's been lying to you thus far) with both setups, you'll see no change in power output.

And this is coming from someone who's been there, done that, and got the T-shirt. The numbers don't lie.

Old 10-17-2012, 01:17 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

3 years running strong in the mid-west ,cool story bro.

Old 10-17-2012, 01:21 PM
Super Moderator
Received 97 Likes on 91 Posts

I'm going on 16 years strong of never driving my car into a tree, but I still buckle my seat belt.

Old 10-17-2012, 01:27 PM
Recovery Vehicle

The mid-west? Just because it's never happened doesn't mean it won't ever. A new TB heater plate kit, and two new hoses can be had for a bit less than $60. We just had this discussion in another thread, on my SHO the heater circuit is bypassed, but only because it's not a winter car. Plenty of folks in the warmer states have done the same because there's nil chance of it being an issue there. That said, I still spent the coin to fix the heater on my Disco, because **** happens sometimes, and I know I'll be in country where TB icing can occur.

You should at the very least make sure your wife knows what the protocol is for a stuck throttle condition.

Old 10-17-2012, 02:15 PM
Recovery Vehicle

based on your poor choice in vehicles,-taurus,ninja,anything you say is irrelevant,it gets well below freezing in winter and over 100 in summer,so you can make choices by what you read about or what you do,i am an innovator,works for me ,you mad bro?
Protip: This isn't /b/, save the you mad bro's and cool story bro's for there.

It's your truck, so you can do whatever you want. Some of us have been there and are just here trying to impart what we've learned along the way to the next guy. Totally up to you if you want to heed the advice or relearn someone else lesson.

Still think you should make sure your wife is versed in stuck throttle protocol.

Old 10-17-2012, 02:20 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 102 Likes on 89 Posts

God damn this troll, do not feed him more! He's a heep owner, it says it all.

Old 10-17-2012, 02:25 PM
Overlanding

she changes her own oil and knows how to drive a five speed ,im sure she is good,the advice is a two way street ,you guys are telling me that its bad so i should "heed" well im telling you its better so why dont you heed my advice get some intercooler piping and build your own,i have it on my truck and its never run better for three years what more do you need?i thought these posts were for ideas/mods or what ever ,keep telling me the world is flat,besides who really cares.

Old 10-17-2012, 02:26 PM
Overlanding

Originally Posted by ZGPhoto
God damn this troll, do not feed him more! He's a heep owner, it says it all.
you mad too bro?

Old 10-17-2012, 02:57 PM
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Being a new member to this forum you should not jump on here and start smack talking people not only the senior members with more experience that you but your making a fool out of yourself "BRO". Now just because your so called wife changes her own oil and can drive a 5 speed does not mean she will know what to do or not panic if she encountered a stuck throttle body. You have a **** poor attitude and need to change that if you plan to stick around. At this point you have already made sure we are aware of the fact that you like to criticize and smack talk and you are on the wrong forum for that. You have been advised of what you are doing is not Bennifical to your engine and could also put your loved ones and others in danger, Do what you want to your truck but loose the attitude guy. Best advice i can give you at this point is at your earlier conversations you should have responded with something like..... yes sir, i do understand what your saying however i have had this set up like this for 3 years and it has not posed a problem for me as of yet but thank you and also i will go over what could happen with my wife and make sure she is aware of how to control a stuck or froze throttle body. And then a just wanted to share with you what i have done and thanks for your concerns. Just saying.

Last edited by lr2001silver; 10-17-2012 at 03:04 PM.
Old 10-17-2012, 02:58 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

i like the way it works,i have a sheet of carbon fiber i might make a splash guard out of,i will not take the truck in anything deeper than the doors unless its thick mud,but truth is i am happy with it and as for all the "hot air" it is no worse than a stock setup with the tb warmer with 200+ degree water flowing through it ,the only real way to settle this debate is a dyno/field test.bottom line if you do not like it,do not do it ,it works for me and thats all that really matters
?

i didnt ask about a splash guard. i just asked why didnt you replace the part that you needed instead of building some contraption?

Quick Reply: 50$(u.s.) short ram air intake for disco 2