Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

6.5 subwoofer box on rear door pics.

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2012, 08:25 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 6.5 subwoofer box on rear door pics.

Mobile Photobucket

Mobile Photobucket

Mobile Photobucket

It started with my cd changer not working and blown speakers. The two subs and front mids in the stock 3 way were completely rotten. It turned into a total system replacement.

These are the pics of the birch sub box I built. Skim coated it with bondo, primed and painted body color.

Last edited by Waterfowl; 09-16-2012 at 08:28 PM.
Old 09-16-2012, 09:38 PM
Mudding
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Hi Waterfowl

Looks darn good! How does it sound? Better than the stock one?

Al
03 D2 86K

Old 09-16-2012, 09:47 PM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by aguison
Hi Waterfowl

Looks darn good! How does it sound? Better than the stock one?

Al
03 D2 86K
It sounds dramatically better than the stock subs. I first just used the new subs in stock locations with stock amp. After I replaced the amp the rattles from rear door from the increased power led me to build a box. I used dampner on th door inside and out but the stock setup uses the door as the box. The rear door can not be sealed well enough for a legit enclosure. The rear cargo area needs to be left open to pack beach gear etc so a seperate sub box was not an option.

Old 09-16-2012, 10:05 PM
Mudding
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Awesome! Would you mind sharing the design?

Old 09-16-2012, 10:21 PM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by aguison
Awesome! Would you mind sharing the design?
It was designed as I went. Lol

I can give you exact measurements tommorow evening. It is the maximum size I could build given the location. I have a SE 7 with rear A/C. The left rear fold down seat extends out to the right of the cargo area. The original subs were offset the same to not be blocked by the seats in folded position.
The angle on the right of box has to be done so the door will shut.

The box models at .31 cu ft. The specs for the subs combined is .41 cu ft. I stuffed the box with poly fill to "increase" the dimensions.

What stock audio system do you have? I had the hi-line system and used all the stock locations.

Old 09-19-2012, 02:50 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nicely done. I have been intending to search about how to implement additional subs without sacrificing cargo space; and here it is all laid out. Thanks

Old 09-19-2012, 03:27 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 102 Likes on 89 Posts

6.5"...not really a subwoofer regardless.

Old 09-19-2012, 04:46 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by ZGPhoto
6.5"...not really a subwoofer regardless.
What the hell is wrong with you? go **** someplace else...

You and the rest of the trolls on these forums suck *****...yeah...sweaty ones at that...

People come on here for help and to share ideas and mods... the guy was nice enough to share and post some photos and that's all you have to add?

I am guessing his new "subwoofer" sounds better than the POS that is rotted out in the back of your rig...

Old 09-19-2012, 05:07 PM
TReK
Received 503 Likes on 418 Posts

I've got a custom enclosure with a 10" sub that i strap down in the back between two of the D rings in the floor in front of one of the cargo bins, it does get in the way at times. This is powered by a 300w amp under the pass seat which powers the front doors as well as the sub. The sound is excellent.

The only thing I'd like to do different is fab an encosure the exact size of one of the storage bins and bolt that in place of one of the bins. would not be a difficult job if you had fiberglass experience.

have not actually heard of anyone doing that but if it has been done I'd like to see the result.

Old 09-19-2012, 05:49 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 102 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by nychaze
What the hell is wrong with you? go **** someplace else...

You and the rest of the trolls on these forums suck *****...yeah...sweaty ones at that...

People come on here for help and to share ideas and mods... the guy was nice enough to share and post some photos and that's all you have to add?

I am guessing his new "subwoofer" sounds better than the POS that is rotted out in the back of your rig...
First of all, chill your ****. You dating the OP? Why are you so offended. 6.5" diameter speakers don't put out a low enough note to really offer the subwoofer experience. I'm not talking ****, it is a nice job, it's just not really a subwoofer.

I don't have a sub in the back of my rig, I have a cargo box, much more useful for me.

Btw, nothing has "rotted out" on my truck, there's not a spot of rust or "rot".

Quick Reply: 6.5 subwoofer box on rear door pics.