Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

6 codes and mechanic keeps throwing parts at truck!

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2014, 06:21 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 6 codes and mechanic keeps throwing parts at truck!

Quick history. I've been trading out some work on the disco. All new lifters,rockers, oil pump etc to try and solve the engine ticking. It's much better now. My buddy got a crazy new scan tool and said he reset my computer to "original" specs. Since then it's been a pretty crappy couple of days. I was getting codes for a bad o2 sensor so I replaced all 4 with Bosch oe sensors. Then it throws lean codes so he says my mass air meter is "tired" so I just put a new one in and the same 6 coded are back after I cleared them with the scanner. P0130 o2 bank 1, p0174 system to lean bank 2, p0171 system to lean bank 1, p0150 o2 bank 2, p1171, p1174. Not sure what the last 2 are. I'm going back tonight and he says he is going to reset back to stock again since we put 4 new o2 sensors and a new mass air flow meter in. It drives "ok" idles rough at stops and the exhaust smells. Any help please guys. Thanks!

Old 07-07-2014, 06:24 PM
Super Moderator
Received 210 Likes on 194 Posts

Smells? Rich or sweet?

Old 07-07-2014, 06:51 PM
4wd Low

I would say like rotten eggs it's not rich in my humble opinion

Old 07-07-2014, 07:42 PM
TReK
Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts

Too much gas getting into the catalytic converters.

see
http://enginecodemaster.com

to look up codes

Old 07-07-2014, 07:47 PM
4wd Low

Doesn't lean mean not enough gas? I have two lean banks not rich banks. ???

Old 07-07-2014, 09:09 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

If your mechanic is guessing then take the truck home. You can guess yourself for a 1/4 of the price he will charge you.

I would bet you have a vacuum leak at the very least. The 1171 and 1174 from my experience is air entering the system somewhere past the Mass Air Flow sensor. I would do a smoke test and find out where the leak is coming from. It could be the injector o-rings, plenum gasket, intake tube not tight at the throttle body, broken brake servo vac tube at upper manifold or a number of other places. I made a thread a while back to do an at home smoke test it you want to save some money and do it yourself.
https://landroverforums.com/forum/di...s-cigar-54235/

Old 07-07-2014, 09:24 PM
Mudding
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

P0130 o2 bank 1, p0174 system to lean bank 2, p0171 system to lean bank 1, p0150 o2 bank 2, p1171, p1174.

So lets split these codes down
P0174 and P0171, System to Lean Bank -

These codes are cause for a number of reasons. What they mean is their is no enough gas going to the cylinders for the amount of air going to those cylinders.

Possible Causes

Poor Fuel Pressure at the Rail - Part in Question Fuel Pump - Issue is it is a 400 Dollar Part so I would save this fix to last, or you can have your mechanic check the fuel Pressure.

Bad MAF - So the MAF is a part that is right after your Air Filter it is a 250 part and they go bad not often but they can go bad. If they are dirty or function improperly then the engine management system allows to much air into your throttle body and thus causing an improper mixture.

Finally, and it seems to me the most likely issue is random air entering the system. So again the air going into your intake manifolds is measure perfectly for the amount of fuel that the system is entering the system. If random air gets in then their is more air than the MAF measured. So where and do you find these spots. Well what they are are vacuum leaks, these leaks can come from loose vacuum hoses, leaky gaskets in the throttle body or intake manifolds and bad O rings on your injectors. To test for leaks you need a smoke test preformed.

If you go through the following steps you should be able to fix these codes.

Old 07-07-2014, 10:18 PM
4wd Low

Thanks guys i have tomorrow off and will do the smoke test. As I stated before I have a new mass air flow and all new o2's. All Bosch no cheap stuff. I took the upstream o2's out tonight at the shop and they were covered in carbon even worse than the
Ones I took out. I cleaned them off and cleaned and checked my connections reinstalled and drove home after "resetting my ecu parameters" to stock again. Drove 20 miles home and now I have lean bank 1 & 2, o2 bank 2 sensor 1. At least it's not six codes. I'm getting 2 new o2's under warranty tomorrow but don't want to put them in until I do smoke test. Thanks for all the info it is much appreciated!!!

Old 07-08-2014, 06:39 AM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

Go through the codes logically and eliminate. The problem with mechanics is that often they don't know and take a 'stab' of a guess and you pay $$$$$$$$$ unnecessarily, that's what happens in the main LR dealerships. I'd heed some of the experienced advice on here first and eliminate the possibilities before spending more cash.

Admittedly, I don't know a lot about the Rover V8 and don't want to know either (they seem a bunch of trouble compared to my TD5 diesel) but these guys know an awful lot about the rover V8 between them.

Old 07-08-2014, 07:02 PM
4wd Low

Did the smoke test today. I have no vacuum leaks. The rubber glove stayed inflated and when I released the hose all my smoke and air came back out. Any other suggestions?

Quick Reply: 6 codes and mechanic keeps throwing parts at truck!