Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

94 Disco won't start

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2006, 10:47 PM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 94 Disco won't start

Ok everyone, here's the problem that I have:
94 Disco with just shy of 200k miles usually runs like a top. Noticed the idle was hunting a little while back, but left it alone because it wasn't bad enough for me to justify troubleshooting. Had a problem with the ignition coil wire going into center of the Dist Cap. I didn't seat it fully most likely and it was pretty well scorched. So, I swapped the cap and wire. Everything was almost normal, but it did seem like it wasn't pulling to redline like it should. Then my wife was driving home and it died.
I tried to restart and it will occasionally, with a lot of pumping on the gas and it wouldn't stay running. There is a strong fuel smell. I swapped the coil, hoping that maybe I damaged it with the coil wire problem, but didn't start. So, now I have no idea what is wrong. Voltage on the coil is +12vdc and I cleaned all the contacts for the coil and measured the coil resistance trying to eliminate the easy stuff and using my old school tricks.
I read through the forums, and most problems that I saw were dealing with fuel temp sensor and lack of fuel, but I definitely have fuel, so where do I go to troubleshoot electrical?

Stew
PS I lost my service manual last time I moved, and I can't get another till after the weekend

Old 06-03-2006, 11:49 PM
Rock Crawling
Default RE: 94 Disco won't start

the rough running might be the timing. ?timing belt. bad gas, bad fuel filter. bad rotor cap. bad rotor. bad distributor. I forget the name of the part but it is under the main plate. some kind of resistor or capitior. fuel pump. check relay for fuel pump. that is just the first things. at 200k it could be lots of things, but there is some starting points. hope it helps. gotta love a rover. duboff

Old 06-04-2006, 03:16 AM
Winching
Default RE: 94 Disco won't start

Start with the basics. Compression, fuel psi, ignition.