Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

95 Disco 1 - Engine Idles Then Dies

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2006, 08:12 AM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 95 Disco 1 - Engine Idles Then Dies

Hi there

Hope someone can assist me here. This morning the engine stalled on my Disco1 as I pulled into a gas station. I started the motor, then it promptly died again. After filling up, I managed only to drive about 50 metres during which the engine stalled again half a dozen times.

At this point the engine would only occasionally start, would idle at ~500RPM for a few seconds, then stall again. Depressing the accelerator had no effect on revs.

Eventually it started, and idled for a minute or so without dying, so I opened the hood and operated the throttle by hand to keep it revving for a few minutes. Following this, the motor again idled OK, and I was able to drive home. At home the engine again started normally.

I believe I have an issue with the throttle, anyone had this before? Sorry if I sound like I don't know much about cars, this is the first car I've ever bought with the intention of learning about it and working on it myself, so I'm pretty green, but keen to learn.

Kind regards
Simon

Old 10-14-2006, 10:44 AM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts
Default RE: 95 Disco 1 - Engine Idles Then Dies

Sounds like a good place to start would be to replace the fuel filter located on the frame above the r/r tire. You most like sucked sediment from the bottom of the tank and plugged it up, hopefully you did not get any into the injectors.
Might want to throw a can of SeaFoam or Techtron gas additive into the tank to try and help the injectors.
Mike

Old 10-15-2006, 07:43 AM
2nd Gear

Hi Mike, I had only let the tank get to one third empty, could this be possible? Also just had the fuel filter replaced, so as the engine now starts OK (since getting it home) is it possible that the sediment may have moved on from the fuel filter but not yet reached the injectors?

Thanks!

Old 10-15-2006, 11:42 AM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

At only 1/3 tank, you should have no problems with the filter, I thought it went real low.
You are probably going to need to look at the idle control, and on your year, I don't know if you have a IAC or stepper motor that controls your idle.
Also should probably check the fuel pressure. Need to check it before you start up first thing in the morning and then at idle. My concern there is that your fuel pump could be failing, allowing fuel to bleed bak into the tank and not allowing the injectors to have the fuel needed to start and then idle.
These are just a couple of things to look at, hope you find it soon.
Mike

Old 10-16-2006, 01:54 AM
5th Gear

Hi there ..

I am new to the forum but have been a Jag and MG owner for years. While Disco Mike and the team probably have you already sorted out your post reminded me of a few issues.

On my Jag XJ6 I had a very similar issue which turned out to be an excessive vacuum leak. You could test this thoery bu starting the vehicle in Nuetral and seeing if it behaves any differently than when in park or drive. Just a thought. Not sure where to test vacuum yet on the Disco as I don;t yet have my proper workshop manual, anyhow.. just an idea.

Josh