Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

95 Disco 3.9L Motor noise

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2009, 08:40 PM
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 95 Disco 3.9L Motor noise

Hello all,
I'm new to the forum and Land Rover for that matter. Been wanting one for years and just purchased one. Its a 5 speed and I'm not very mechanically inclined but the noise appears to either be coming from the lower end or maybe transmission. It will sound great when first started and runs superb but when warm it makes a clank noise under a load and a tick while idling. Give it some gas and the noise goes away but returns soon as back at idle. While in a load like taking off from stop sign makes the clanking noise till cruising speed. I suspect its still making the noise its just too loud with the wind noise to hear it. Disco doesn't show hot on the gauge but it sure feels like its fixing to melt. If you leave it idling in garage it will show hot on the gauge but driving it never gets hot. Drove it from San Antonio to Dallas without a hitch. Got a little warm in traffic but never overheated. Think it needs a waterpump??? Any help would be appreciated. Don't want to drive it till I get a thrown rod or something of that nature.

P.S. If its bearings do you have to remove engine or can it be done from underneath?

Thanks,

Jon (Knuckle Dragger)

Old 07-22-2009, 09:00 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

How many miles on it? Are all the fans working? The electric fans should come on with teh a/c or when the engine is to hot and should stay on even with the key off until the engine cools off.
You should here the clutch fan come on when you start the truck first thing in the morning and stay on for the first few minutes.
I am assuming that you already checked your coolant and oil levels.

Old 07-22-2009, 09:32 PM
TReK
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Check your front driveshaft u-joints. They make a click or clanking noise when they are going. It's a serious problem that is fairly inexpensive to fix.

Old 07-23-2009, 02:41 AM
5th Gear

The Disco has 125K on it... Dont think its u-joints cause it makes noise even while idling in neutral. Think either lower engine (like rod bearings or mains) but like i said before I'm no mechanic... Thanks for the imput guys. Please continue... Only see the main fan blade... Didnt think it had a secondary fan.. But of course i'm not up to speed on these vehicles.. Anything else anyone can think of please chime in... Great forum guys.. I'm glad to be a part of it...

P.S. I went to start it tonight and it would not start... Looked at fuses and the one for the starter was blown.. Wonder if thats a new problem or does that happen due to age?? Can those fuses be purchased at a parts store or is it a dealer only item??

Old 07-23-2009, 07:43 AM
TReK
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm not exactly sure on the D1's but the secondary fan on the D2 can be seen from the grill or there is a small hatch under the front bumper where you can get to it.

Old 07-23-2009, 09:03 AM
Three Wheeling

I was just going through this with my 97, since it has gotten hot here in TX:

The D1 has 2 electric fans in front of the A/C Condenser, they are also used to supplement the engine driven fan when coolant or trans hits a certain temp. They should turn on automatically when the A/c is switched on. I would check those first, mine were out on my 97 and it would cause the temp to creep up when sitting still and the A/C was very inefficient. Check if you get 12v at the motors, if you do the motors are burned out, if not there are several relays you need to check. You can go to a junkyard and get the pancake motors from a 95-97 Toyota Corrolla, they are the same. I paid $25 for two of them. Easy to replace.

The next thing I did was pulled the radiator, had it rodded, sealed and cored. These things have really small coolant passages through the radiator that clog easily. Mine was clogged somewhat. Went ahead and replaced all the hoses and thermostats as well. Might be worth just going ahead and doing it to your 95, if it looks like it has not been done recently.

I see you are in Desoto, there are 2 great independant shops for LR. One is in North Texas Rovers in Dallas and the other is Cowtown in Fort Worth.

Tex

Old 07-23-2009, 07:34 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Check your catalitic convertors, when they go bad they fall apart on the inside and the loose "guts" will rattle and sound like a rod knock.

Old 07-23-2009, 09:45 PM
5th Gear

Tex, Spike,

Thanks for the replies. I will look into the probs you have listed. I appreciate the info. Usually when the vehicle shuts off there are no extra motors going. So it could very well be the extra cooling fans that aren't working. Tex I may have North Texas Rovers look at mine. Good heads up guys...

Knuckle Dragger