Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

95 Disco.. hard starting..??? Please help

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2006, 08:39 PM
8th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 95 Disco.. hard starting..??? Please help

95 Disco. Last week it blew the top Rad hose. Since then, it has taken 2 cranks to start. (always started on first crank for the last 5 years). After it starts, it runs rough for a bit, I give it a bit of gas then it idles just fine. Today, it would not start. It took about 8 - 9 cranks, pumping the gas pedel. After it started, it was rough, then would idle fine.

Any ideas? Please helppppppp me!

Cheers-

Old 09-13-2006, 09:15 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: 95 Disco.. hard starting..??? Please help

1995 was the last year on the Disco before they went with a distibutorless ignition system. So the odds are good that you doused the distributor with coolant when that hose blew (especially if it blew at the engine-end of the hose). Remove the distributor cap, and look for evidence of moisture inside. Wipe it out with a clean cloth and re-fit it. If your spark plug wires have any cracking in them, this will cause arcing with any moisture present on the wires. So wipe them down too. Replace them when you can if those cracks are present.

No warning lights illuminated like a "Check engine light"?

Read my tech sections at www.eurotekapg.com for more info related to your Disco.

Regards,

Geoman
eurotek apg

Old 09-13-2006, 09:29 PM
8th Gear

Thanks.. I will take a peek.

Yes, it was on the engine side of the hose, and split down the bottom side, towards the distibutor.
And yes, the check engine light is now on too..?? (because of ?)

I will check what you suggested and update findings.

Thanks again!

Old 09-14-2006, 04:19 PM
Rock Crawling

Your CEL is probably on because there is a "multiple misfire" code stored as a result of the dousing.

Regards,

Geoman
www.eurotekapg.com

Old 09-14-2006, 04:37 PM
8th Gear

Thanks Geoman.

So, yesterday after several cranks, it started up and ran fine. I drove it around, wene shopping and all was well. BUT, today, same problem in the morning. Will not start.. after cranking it a bit, it tries to start, but has not.

I opened up the distributor and wiped it down a bit. It did seem to have a bit of that radiator fluid film residue on the inside. At first glance, it seem to be a bit damp. I wiped it down and tried again, but no starting. Should I leave it off for a bit to really dry out?

What are my next steps???

Cheers,

DM

Old 09-14-2006, 10:11 PM
Rock Crawling

The cap has to be absolutely dry inside to prevent arcing. You could take it loose and then direct a hair dryer at it (on medium heat) to facilitate drying it out. The problem with morning starting might be related to bad spark plug wires, and depending where you are in the country--- morning humidity causes the arcing. You can check for this by having the vehicle running at night with the hood open, and in complete darkness, look on both sides of the engine for flashing from the wires to surrounding metal surfaces (like the exhaust manifold). Also listen for any arcing (a kinda "snapping" sound). I have seen the boot at the sparkplug-end of these wires completely disintegrate. So check those. If any are suspect fit a new set (one by one if you don't have the firing order in front of you for reference)

Many on here endorse the Magnacor wires as a common sense upgrade over OEM ones.

Hope this helps,

Regards,
Geoman
www.eurotekapg.com

Old 09-15-2006, 06:27 PM
8th Gear

Thanks again.. So, the new twist.. I wiped it down, dried it out.. nothing yesterday.. THEN, today, it started on the second crank. It stumbled for about a min or so, till it warmed up.. then runs fine. Samething, went to get coffee, and it fired up first crank after driving for about 10 mins and after it was turned off..

What's the deal here? My Disco has me baffled...??? Again, after it started, it ran rough for a bit, (tach gague going up and down, I kept my foot on the pedal till it warmed up or it would a have died)..

Cheers

Old 09-15-2006, 07:56 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When the upper radiator blew, how hot did the engine get? Did it overheat?

Old 09-15-2006, 09:15 PM
8th Gear

Yes, the temp was up.. and then bam.. it blew.. Top rad. hose, bottom portion of it towards the engine..

Any advice?

cheers-

Old 09-18-2006, 02:24 PM
Rock Crawling

Think it's time to pull all the spark plugs and do a compression test. Also drain the oil and pay attention to the last bit coming out of the pan. You are looking for coolant. Usually they will mix and give the dreaded "mocha" color that reveals a cracked block and/or a blown head gasket. But not always. Read my section at http://www.eurotekapg.com/ptrain.html

Don't want to scare you, but these steps are necessary considering the conditions just prior to the hose letting go.

Regards,

Geoman
eurotek apg

Quick Reply: 95 Disco.. hard starting..??? Please help