Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

95 with unknown noise

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2007 | 06:35 PM
|
Overlanding
Default 95 with unknown noise

At first I thought this noise was a valve noise or something wrong with the engine. Heck it could be a valve. I have very little experience with engines. This noise happens when i hit the gas while driving normally. It is coming from somewhere up front. It's like a rattle-knock which increases with throttle. Here is the strange thing. I can park it and rev it up almpst to red line no noise!!! every one in a while it will knock/rattle evey 5 sec in park( rare). I know this is a vauge description, but i dont have alot of money to do repairs. If I just had some ideas. Any help would be great...... I do not want to part with my discovery!! Thanks

Old 01-27-2007 | 06:52 PM
Administrator
Default RE: 95 with unknown noise

Here are some possibiltys,
belt tensioner or pulley
u-joints on the front drive shaft
internal lifter/rocker noise.
You are going to check some more a limit the possibilitys.
Mike

Old 01-27-2007 | 08:34 PM
|
Overlanding

the internal lifter/rocker noise concerns me.... If this is the problem how is it fixed?? how is it checked? What cost would i be looking at if this indeed the problem?? I feel sick already, Disco Mike!!

Old 01-28-2007 | 10:14 AM
Drifting

I am almost positive it is not the Engine RELAX. It sounds like an exhaust problem. Something touching when the engine in under tork. If you can not get it to rattle by raving it is not likly the engine. However if it has high miles and you think it might have a noisey or sticky lifter, the next time you add oil to the engine but in a litre of transmission oil (the red stuff) I don,t think It matters which one.The trans, oil will clean out the hydraulic lifers,and make the engine run quite. I have been doing this for over 30 years on old US v8 engines.

Old 01-28-2007 | 08:52 PM
Three Wheeling

Hi

I'd never knew that you can put transmission oil in the engine[&:]. Question,After you put the Transmission oilinto the enginedo you removethe engine oil after a fewdaysor do you just leave it in there until the next oil change.

Thx

Old 01-30-2007 | 03:30 AM
Drifting

Just leave it.It will not do any harm.

Old 01-30-2007 | 08:10 PM
|
Overlanding

ok...I checked around the manifolds and could not feel any hot air (did this on a cold start of course)! The engine finaly warmed up and while the wife was reving the engine are started to hear the noise. It did not seem to be coming from the top of the engine, but the bottom. When I layed on the ground, the sound was louder. It seems to be coming from what I think is a cat converter. It is just after the right manifold. It's kind of square. I checked the left side and in the same area, there is a round cat??? It is stamped with "land rover". Is this the original cat and the other is an after-market cat?? I think this weekend I will break down, and go to an exhaust shop to check it out... Thanks for all the help! I will let you all know what happens. I might try the trans fluid out, as I'm sure it could use a cleaning. This does the same thing as seafoam right?

Old 02-01-2007 | 03:20 AM
Drifting

It is possible that the baffle inside the cat has come loose. It is very simple to check.You just tap it with a hammer handle or what ever you have, with the engine NOT running and if you hear any rattle at all you have found the problem, This is a very common problem with cat converters in general. I do not know what seafoam is, but it sounds right.I don,t believe in engine rebuilders in a tin, or miracle oils of any kind. Trans oil is a very thin,inert,harmless lubricant with great cleaning ability.I use it for must of my other lubricating needs, because it will not harm rubber O rings etc.

Old 02-01-2007 | 11:09 AM
Administrator

ORIGINAL: mr.47

Hi

I'd never knew that you can put transmission oil in the engine[&:]. Question, After you put the Transmission oil into the engine do you remove the engine oil after a few days or do you just leave it in there until the next oil change.

Thx
If you decide to do a ATF flush on your engine, just drain the engine, add 6 qts. of ATF with the old oil filter, let it idle for 20 to 30 minutes, don't drive it, then drain and do your normal oil change. Check the color of the oil at around 1000 oe 1500 miles to see if you should do an early oil change.
Mike

Old 02-02-2008 | 07:31 PM
Mudding

I think I have a similar issue. A slight rattle from underneath a idle. No rattle as you bring up the RPMs. Tapped the converters with a hammer and here a small bit of debris inside the cat. Can I just gut the cat for now?

Quick Reply: 95 with unknown noise