Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

96 Disco 130K miles runs rough at 30 50 and 70 mph

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2010, 09:11 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by itsbob
Can't you just disconnect the battery!??
No, not on a OBDII car.

Old 04-16-2010, 09:13 PM
Team Owner

Let me add my tears to the trail of sorrow.

My 2000 Disco just starting acting up as we were using it to tow a trailer whilst moving from our old house to our new. (not REALLY that big of a deal it was only a 1/4 mile down the road).

NO power at all.. starting with a hesitation he first day, then the second day it had NO power. Had to put in Sport mode, and get up to HIGH RPMs to get it to highway speed.

It's at the fix it shop right now and they are telling me $1875 for new Ignition Coil, Spark Plugs and wires. They were reading to me out of the repair manual about removing the top of the engine, and replacing seals.. etc.. etc..

I thought the Ignition Coil was on back of the engine.. hard to get to, but I don't have to tear apart the engine to get to it do I??

Anyways, any help, as always, would be much appreciated.

If you start a new thread you will have better luck.
But to put it simply you are getting taken for a ride.
You dont need new coils, just new plugs and wires, and yes, they do need to remove the intake manifold to do it.
Sort of.
Read this.
https://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-ii-18/replace-wires-without-removing-im-9657/
Then go and read all the the "write up" section as well as the "new owners" section.

Old 04-16-2010, 11:35 PM
Drifting
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm not having any trouble on warm starts. I'm thinking the coolant sensor codes could be left over from the previous owner having some coolant leakage. Unless it would cause the truck to run funny...It's not the immediate concern. So, if I clear those, they may not come back.

Also - it's very possible - even likely - that the previous owner only used 87 octane. I have only had one fill up since I got it but I used premium. I'm used to that because my previous vehicle was a saab turbo.

The misfire is something I can definitely feel. The previous owner supposedly put new plugs and wires in but it didn't help. So I'll go get some Bosch plugs and some 8mm wires (do they HAVE to be magnecor??) and see what that does for me.

Old 04-16-2010, 11:50 PM
Winching
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by llcookej
I'm not having any trouble on warm starts. I'm thinking the coolant sensor codes could be left over from the previous owner having some coolant leakage. Unless it would cause the truck to run funny...It's not the immediate concern. So, if I clear those, they may not come back.

Also - it's very possible - even likely - that the previous owner only used 87 octane. I have only had one fill up since I got it but I used premium. I'm used to that because my previous vehicle was a saab turbo.

The misfire is something I can definitely feel. The previous owner supposedly put new plugs and wires in but it didn't help. So I'll go get some Bosch plugs and some 8mm wires (do they HAVE to be magnecor??) and see what that does for me.

Magnecor are possibly the best, but I've had a set of Autozone silicones ($50) in mine for five years or so, they've been fine.

luck,greg

Old 04-17-2010, 06:09 AM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Can't you just disconnect the battery!??

no....

Old 04-17-2010, 06:49 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by llcookej

And I change my underwear everyday too...if you didnt do it it didnt happen, change the plugs and wires.

And yes they need to be GOOD plug wires, my first set of Duralast plug wires lasted a year, then I went through 4 more sets in 12 months, now I have Magnecor's and no problems for a year.

Old 04-17-2010, 08:33 PM

get the magencors from apexperformance.com best price on the net.

Old 04-18-2010, 08:21 PM
Drifting
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok - replaced the battery, new spark plugs and changed the oil. I also ordered magnecor wires...so $100 for those and I'm just hoping that helps the problem.

Do these trucks have an ignition module box? Is it possible that could be bad? Is there a way to test the coils to make sure they are doing what they are supposed to do?

Thanks for any feedback and I'll be sure to keep everyone up to date as I continue to throw money at my truck to try to fix the problem. :-)

Old 04-18-2010, 08:35 PM
Team Owner

No, '96 and newer do not have a ignition module.

Old 04-19-2010, 07:10 AM

what plugs did you use?

Quick Reply: 96 Disco 130K miles runs rough at 30 50 and 70 mph