Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'96 Disco no rear and dash lights

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2005, 07:28 PM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '96 Disco no rear and dash lights

The rear running lights and dash lights quit on me today. Also the "lights on chime" also quit. I checked the fuses which look ok. I've got directionals and brake lights but no rear running light. Any imput on what's goin' on would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Old 01-02-2005, 07:06 AM
Rock Crawling
Default RE: '96 Disco no rear and dash lights

Could be several things, worth checking fuses again, as I have had it happen to me where the fuse looks okay but had a hairline facture breaking the contact. Try swaping fuese around, (same size with same size)

Do you have seperate brake and rear lights on your model? If so, then it could be a faulty earth at the back of the vehicle. It might be a fail safe that when these are not working your dash lights stop as well.

Lastly it could be a damaged cable within your dash panel area. Unless you have a wiring diagram, it would be easier to take your disco to an auto electrician as they know what they are doing once you get to the million of cables in the dash panel.

Old 01-02-2005, 04:49 PM
Drifting

I think it's much more likely to be a fuse in this case. Usually if two or more seemingly unrelated pieces of electrical equipment stop working at the same time it's because the feed to them has developed a fault (in this case a fuse which supplies both bits of equipment). Dash lights and rear lights are of course related but they are also seperate things and the fact that they've both gone out suggests to me you have a fuse gone. If you look up in the manual you should be able to find which fuse supplies the rear lights and the dash lights. Failing that (the diagrams can sometimes be confusing) you're better off going right through the fuses one at a time and checking them. I'm not sure how you'd fare by pulling each of the fuses out individually and checking them, but I dont THINK there'd be any consequences after that except maybe from having to reset your clock. The alarm is I believe directly connected to the battery so it shouldn't be affected by your removing of fuses.

In any case, checking all the fuses and being absolutely sure they're ok is probably the first thing you should do.

Brian

Old 03-07-2005, 08:26 PM
Drifting

same thing happened to me, new headlight switch did the trick