Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

96 Disco stalling

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2010, 05:35 PM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 96 Disco stalling

I just bought my Disco three weeks ago. It starts fine, but after I drive it for about 10 minutes and the engine heats up, and I stop at a red light or stop sign the RPM's crash to nil, and the Disco stalls.

I took it to a mechanic and he got a couple codes and replaced to O2 and temp sensors, and he thought that would solve the stalling(haha, he should read this forum)! The mechanic also cleaned the throttle body, and nothing, still stalls.

My mechanic now thinks the stalling is caused by a mass air sensor, or something like that???

I read the threads in this forum, and took the liberty to buy a new Fuel Filter, Idle Air Control Valve, and Crankshaft Position Sensor.... I'm still waiting for Fedex to deliver my parts....

I'm really in need of fixing this issue cheaply, does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks, sorry I'm a newbie, but if anyone has anything to offer, it would greatly be appreciated!!!

Old 02-09-2010, 06:37 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Wait to see what happens when you get the parts, but that type of stalling right after it warms up is the prototypical Crankshaft Position Sensor failure symptom. Your mechanic should be well aware of that.

Typical malfunctioning sensor symptoms on any car:

Stalls after the car reaches operating temp = Crankshaft Position Sensor

Stalls when revs fall, like when coming to a stop at a stop sign = Camshaft Position Sensor.

Erratic/high Idle upon Startup with intermittent stalling = ICV (Idle Control Valve)

Erratic Throttle response, or stalling at a specific throttle point = TPS (Throttle Position Sensor)

Sluggishness as soon as you hit the gas followed by occasional stalling and hard starts accompanied by a drop in MPG = MAF (Mass Airflow Sensor)

None of the above with a noticable drop in MPG's = O2 Sensors starting to fail

Old 02-10-2010, 09:52 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

replace what you are getting and see how it does.