Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

96 Disco tail light

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2005, 03:02 AM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 96 Disco tail light

I have a 1996 disco 1(gasoline), and live in the southeast united states. My two break lights, and passenger side blinker in the rear bumper quit working. The center break light still works and all other blinkers work fine. Also my cruise control does not work. I was wandering if someone out there new if this was a common electrical problem or just a coincidence of blown bulbs and or fuses. Just purchased recently and even though i have done alot of research, i have not had any hands on experience, i would appreciate any help.

thanks,
anthony

Old 02-13-2005, 05:39 AM
Rock Crawling
Default RE: 96 Disco tail light

Faluts with the lights in the rear bumper is common, this is due to so much wet dirt been thrown up by the wheels, causing the earth points normally to fail due to corrosion. Easy to check, remove the light fitting and check all the connections, chances are they are all green and yuk.. Take them apart and wire brush or use sand paper and clean them all up stick them back together and they should work fine...

Crusie control I am not familair with, worth checking the fuse box first though, may simply be a blown fuse, though I have heard that the switch can break as well.

Old 02-13-2005, 10:57 PM
Winching

Anthony,

Probably just bulbs. If you have rear jump seats they are A nightmare to replace. You will have to remove the jump seats first and even then they are A chore. The bumper light is easy, reach under the bumper and turn the socket.

Cruise, do you have the master switch depressed ? It looks similar to this " tt ". If so check the vacuum lines under the bonnet ( hood ). Check the tee connection hoses at the drivers side rear of the engine compartment for splits. Next most common is the steering wheel switches. While driving over 35 mph listen carefully to see if you here A click from the passs side when you depress the set switch.

Let us know how you make out.

Bait

Old 02-13-2005, 11:37 PM
Drifting

Bait, when i depress the cruise control switch it lights up, but im pretty sure my headlight switch is bad and i will let u know if that solves it when i change it, i will check the vacuum hoses tomarrow, but i have notices a quiet ticking like u said but it went away wheni accelerated so i didnt think it was anything, thanks for the info

-anthony

Old 03-21-2005, 11:21 AM
4wd Low

on the 96 discovery rear lighting, you dont have to remove the jump seats, but it is a pain in the rear.......I have done it, though it would have been easier if my hands were the size of a 1st graders.

Cruise, mine didnt work due to the vacum lines as described in Bait's reply.

Pilk