Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

97 disco engine 'hiss' from around block

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2008, 03:28 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 97 disco engine 'hiss' from around block

I got an oil change yesterday, didn't do it myself, and today I could hear a 'hiss' coming from around the block. I took a video for dianostic purposes and placed it on youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6oedaGRpmW0

I was wondering if the cause could be the oil--20/50--or something else. I have to admit I've not had the hood up in about a month so I can't say for sure if this is a new problem or a slow-growing one. Also, the 'hiss' cannot be heard from the interior of the rover. No sign of air or fluid escaping from vehicle.

Old 05-03-2008, 03:32 PM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts
Default RE: 97 disco engine 'hiss' from around block

An oil change won't cause a hiss, you are going to need to spend some time under the hood and try an track down the area of the engine and get back to us. Sounds like a vacuum hose is torn or loose.
What brand of oil filter did they install.
Those cheap ones will cause you oil pump to have dry starts damaging your engine.

Old 05-03-2008, 03:42 PM
Three Wheeling

Oil filter:Mighty brandengine guard II, M4675: http://www.mightyautoparts.com/produ...ml#engineguard

I'm not very engine savvy, is there a definate shape to vacuum hoses? Which ones would be near the my left side of the block?

Old 05-03-2008, 03:46 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

The weight of the oil has nothing to do with it, 20w50 is a good weight for summer time.
You have a vacum leak. Check the PCV hose, it is on the pass valve cover and goes to the intake plenum.

Old 05-03-2008, 05:11 PM
Three Wheeling

Found the culprit!
Seems a small black hose has a hole in it. Here are some shots, the hole is circled, sorry about the size:
Name:  hose_leak.jpg
Views: 38
Size:  44.3 KB

Name:  hose_leak_1.jpg
Views: 96
Size:  39.2 KB

So what is this hose called and would I be able to find it at O'reillys?
Thanks for the quick responses.

Old 05-03-2008, 05:18 PM
Team Owner

You can use black electrical tape for now, but you need to replace it, you knew that.
Take it off, go to the autoparts store and buy a new one, I used fuel line and two hose clamps. Just make sure that you dontkink it.
While you have the hose off take some needle noise plyers and pull out the oil sperator and clean it up good, it is the little nipple thingy inside the valve cover.

Old 05-03-2008, 05:30 PM
Three Wheeling

I used fuel line and two hose clamps. Just make sure that you dontkink it.
While you have the hose off take some needle noise plyers and pull out the oil sperator and clean it up good, it is the little nipple thingy inside the valve cover.
Excuse my ignorance, but what hose is this? What do I need to clamp down prior to removing the hose, or did you use aconventional hose and clamp it on? Is there a direct replacement? Also, should I try and prevent it from leaking whatever fluid it carries when I remove it?

Old 05-03-2008, 05:44 PM
Team Owner

http://www.roverparts.com/Parts/ERR4258.cfm
This is the direct replacement. It is the PCV (positive crankcase ventalation) hose. It sucks the gases that get into the crankcase from blowby (exhaust gas) and moister from condensation into the engine to be burned in the combustion process.
In the good old days the hose would just hang under the car and the gaes would vent to the outside air, bad for the enviroment.
The oil seperator stops oil from being sucked into the intake, if it is clogged your engine will run rough and gases will build up inside your engine. If enought pressure builds up inside the crankcase it can cause seals to leak.
No fluids will come out as it is a vacum line.
Yes I used regular old hose clamps and fuel line from a lawnmower that I had laying around.
If you want to do it the "proper" way order the direct replacement.
There is also one on the other side that goes from the valve cover to the throttlebody.
http://www.roverparts.com/Parts/ERR5039.cfm

Old 05-03-2008, 06:08 PM
Three Wheeling

Tape worked, lol. I keep a roll in the glovebox. The rest of the hose looks like it's about to go (the beginnings of line cracks arevisible) though. With my mileage (114k) should I replace all my hoses?

Old 05-03-2008, 06:11 PM
Team Owner

Vacum lines you can wait until they fail, the trk will run rough but it will run, as far has radiator and heater hoses, YES.
You should replaced coolant hoses every 5 years regardless of mileage, rubber gets old and either really soft and spongy or brittle, if you lose a vacum line on the road no big deal, if you lose a coolant hose, well, you are hosed.

Quick Reply: 97 disco engine 'hiss' from around block