Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

97 Disco volume control on Instrument Cluster

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2009, 10:42 PM
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 97 Disco volume control on Instrument Cluster

I have a 97 Disco that we just bought. The volume controls on the IC no longer work ( the down volume worked once for me) now I have a low volume on the sound system. How can I correct this.

I have already checked all the fuses ( even the 7.5 amp one on the amplifier under the dash), I have unpluged the ECM behind the glove box, I have "hotwired" the plug on the switch. Nothing I have done resets the volume control.

I have a stock radio that has the 6 disc changer under the passengers seat.

ALSO, does anyone know if there is a way to connect a line in jack to this system for iPod or MP3?

Mike

Old 02-23-2009, 08:33 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

you say you hot wired the plug on the back of the switch? how did you do this? the correct way would be to apply ground (the black wire) to the brown/yellow wire coming off the switch, if this doesn't work there are a couple of possibilities as to whats wrong, either your ground isn't very good (this ground point is under the drivers kick panel, which is behind the panel below the hood release lever, unscrew it scratch it up very well and re attach it or retap it with a self tapping screw) next would be the connection at the radio, this should be fine since it is one of the main harnesses going into the back of the radio (it will be the brown plug), and last would be a problem in the radio
After testing the brown/yellow wire coming from the switch by applying ground directly to it you could easily test the other radio switches on the dash to check to see if the ground is good and the connection at the radio is good since they all share the same ground and all use the same plug on the radio.

next for an aux input, there have been some diagrams floating around with the pinouts of the cd changer din cable and if you are willing to hack it up and are pretty good with electronics I am sure you could make something, I have in the past seen a few switchboxes made for factory radios in other types of vehicles but I personally just installed my Alpine system and built a fiberglass sub box (there are posts and pics on here if you look for them) so I didn't need to mess with this din cable.
Maybe one of these days I will do a write up and take a bunch of pictures and build a switch box out of my old din cable for someone on here that way if anyone else wants to do it they can see how!

hope this answers all of your questions

Old 02-23-2009, 01:13 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For my Ipod hook up I used a grom audio system that I got off of ebay and just replaced my disc changer with the Ipod interface. There was a great write up on this forum that explained how to do it and it only took me about an hour. I routed the cable to my glove box so I could hide my ipod and still listen. So far I love it.

Old 02-23-2009, 01:32 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Your volume "up" button may just be bad. You can also use the **** on the stereo.
Did you try swapping the down button for the up button to see if it works then? Or are both buttons bad?

Old 02-23-2009, 01:41 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Spike555
Your volume "up" button may just be bad. You can also use the **** on the stereo.
Did you try swapping the down button for the up button to see if it works then? Or are both buttons bad?
I think where the problem is, the volume was turned way down from the dash so now even using the **** on the radio it still doesn't go up that loud (I found that out when I first got my disco) you will have to turn it up from the dash all the way then use the **** to adjsut from there. But I don't think any of the dash audio controls are working judging by the question