Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

97 vs 2003 discovery

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2009, 04:31 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts
Default 97 vs 2003 discovery

I recently discovered that 97' was the last year that Land Rover's were put together outside of Britain and Ford began putting them together after that. I am currently looking to buy either a 2003 or 04 Discovery but I am now second guessing my decision because of the possibility of lots of things breaking and the high costs of repairs. I love the look of the 03 and 04 discovery but if that problems in the future i'd rather avoid then. i've found a few 03's online that have under 50k or a little but above that. Is it possible to find a discovery that still has an existing warranty or could I purchase an additional warranty? Let me know please! I'd very much like to be the owner of an 03 or 04 discovery.

Old 08-03-2009, 04:35 PM
Winching
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You're pushing it to find a Disco with a factory warranty. There may still be some '04's out there, but they're far and few between. The Land Rover CPO warranty is only for 6yrs/75k miles from original in-service date.

As for your statement of Rovers being built outside of Britain, I'm afraid you lost me there. Even under the ownership of BMW, Ford, and now Tata Motors (an Indian company), Rovers are still manufactured in Solihull, England.

Old 08-03-2009, 04:36 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

https://landroverforums.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=21328

Ford just ran the place, LR still did all the work, and BMW owned them before Ford did, thats how the DII came about, BMW wanted to give it a try.
Do not waste your money on a extended warrenty, you are much better putting that money into a Money Market Account and then drawing off of that if you need a major repair.
The '04 is considered the best year for the DII's.

Old 08-03-2009, 04:39 PM
Team Owner

Land Rovers have been made at the same factory since 1948.
The diesel engine is made at a seperate factory that is run by windpower and then brought to the final plant that has been in use since 1948.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J5yoKzatUkI

Old 08-03-2009, 04:39 PM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

All Discos have been made in the UK and neither Ford or BMW had anything to do with their production.
Now that that is clear, what are you planning on buying a Disco for. it will make a difference in what you should buy.

Old 08-03-2009, 05:40 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Learn something new everyday

Hahah, looks like I had my facts wrong. Thank you all for the kind advice. It seems like it doesn't really matter that they have been owned by various companies in the past huh?
In terms of reliability, would you say that the 03 or the 04 models have been better engineered?
To answer the previous questions I really need the transport space that the Disco offers and the head room to pack a lot of music equipment into it. I also have a motorcycle that I would like to be able to tow. As well as a lot of out doors activities such as skiing, mtn/road biking and my buddies go off roading but unfortantly my toyota matrix won't perform the same way as their 97 land rovers haha (even with AWD) The 03 and 04 are beautiful though, the character of the cars is unmatchable.

Old 08-03-2009, 05:47 PM
Team Owner

The only real difference between a 2003 and a 2000, is the headlamp design.
The 2004 has the CDL which is a must for any serious off roading.
The 2004 is often cosidered the best year because it has all the goodies, the looks and is the last year the DII was made.
2005 brought us the LR3, which is a Ford design and uses a Ford V6 (exact same engine as a Explorer) but a Jaguar V8 was a option.
2010 brings us the LR4 which only has one engine and that is a V8 with 375 horse power.
The LR2 is a renamed Freelander.
Keep doing research, asking questions and dont buy the first one you drive.

Old 08-03-2009, 06:30 PM
TReK
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

wait a min..spike just said the DII was BMWs input while running LR and Mike said BMW had no input. Which one is correct? I'm not trying to start a fight here it's just sometime I've been wondering about for a while now being a BMW owner/enthusiast.

Old 08-03-2009, 07:16 PM
Team Owner

Land Rover was run by LR from 1948-late 1990's, BMW bought them and came up with the P-38 RR and its sister the DII, BMW could not make any money so they sold LR and Jag to Ford, Ford couldnt make it work so they sold them to Tata Motors.
Keep in mind that just because a company buys a cars company changes happen overnight, BMW bought LR in 1997? and then developed the DII to better fit into the ubber luxury crowd while still trying to maintain the companies off road roots.
Thats why DII's use BOSCH engine manegment, same as used on BMW's so I am told.
DI's use the GEMS (general engine manegment system), a very simple and basic system, only 2 steps removed from a carburator.
The DI was designed to go aff road with luxury added as a afterthought.
The DII was designed on luxury with off road added.
The LR3 is all electronics with good looks, some off road skill and luxury.
The LR4 is all luxury and electronics, the saleman would not talk about off road skills with me.
But the LR4 does have electronic locking diffs front and rear and a locking t-case, electronic of course.
Both the LR3 and LR4 use a adaptive fly by wire throttle, put the t-case in low gear and the throttle positions are changed to give you more control over throttle input, less pedal movement is needed to give you the power that you need to off road.
The DI throttle is cable drive but it is set up so the first half of the pedal is very touchy to give you the respone needed for offroading, the DII throttle is set up for all around everyday use as BMW knew that 95% of their customers would never take their truck off road.
Ford relied on gizmos to give you the offroad prowess that you might use once a year at best.

Old 08-03-2009, 08:50 PM
Winching
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Spike555
Land Rover was run by LR from 1948-late 1990's, BMW bought them and came up with the P-38 RR and its sister the DII, BMW could not make any money so they sold LR and Jag to Ford, Ford couldnt make it work so they sold them to Tata Motors.
Keep in mind that just because a company buys a cars company changes happen overnight, BMW bought LR in 1997? and then developed the DII to better fit into the ubber luxury crowd while still trying to maintain the companies off road roots.
Thats why DII's use BOSCH engine manegment, same as used on BMW's so I am told.
DI's use the GEMS (general engine manegment system), a very simple and basic system, only 2 steps removed from a carburator.
The DI was designed to go aff road with luxury added as a afterthought.
The DII was designed on luxury with off road added.
The LR3 is all electronics with good looks, some off road skill and luxury.
The LR4 is all luxury and electronics, the saleman would not talk about off road skills with me.
But the LR4 does have electronic locking diffs front and rear and a locking t-case, electronic of course.
Both the LR3 and LR4 use a adaptive fly by wire throttle, put the t-case in low gear and the throttle positions are changed to give you more control over throttle input, less pedal movement is needed to give you the power that you need to off road.
The DI throttle is cable drive but it is set up so the first half of the pedal is very touchy to give you the respone needed for offroading, the DII throttle is set up for all around everyday use as BMW knew that 95% of their customers would never take their truck off road.
Ford relied on gizmos to give you the offroad prowess that you might use once a year at best.

Errr.... P38 and D2 are sister-cars? Since when?

And, as for the LR3, it's actually pretty bada$$ offroad!

Quick Reply: 97 vs 2003 discovery