Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

98 discovery front end shakes

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2008, 06:22 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 discovery front end shakes

i bought a 98 discovery , when i hit a bump at high speeds (50-65mph) front end starts shaking really bad, installed front steering stablizer and all 4 tie rod ends,alsofront endalignment,still not fixed , any ideas 130,000 miles , could it be front shocks , sway bar bushings ?? hate keep wasting $$, help ?? ideas? thx

Old 02-11-2008, 06:27 PM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts
Default RE: 98 discovery front end shakes

Bushings are a possibility, pre load on the swivels is a BIG possibility.

Old 02-11-2008, 06:37 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Panhard rod (track bar) bushings? If bad, youwould see play there when somebody turns the steering wheel back and worth. Do you have a lift?

Old 02-11-2008, 06:39 PM
Drifting

Mike , please expalin "preload on the swivals" .

Old 02-11-2008, 06:46 PM
Drifting

No lift , all stock , seems tights going down the road and in turning , question, is your answer "panhard rod the same as (sway bar) , i guess my question is does the shaking become so uncontrollable cause the bushing are so worn ? thx for the responce

Old 02-11-2008, 06:58 PM
Recovery Vehicle

No, the panhard rod (usually called track bar) is the large 1" x 3' round bar attached to the axle at one end and the frame at the other and it centers the axle. The sway bars are much smaller and at either end if the axle near the springs I think, they keep the body from rolling. Worn track bar bushing could definitly cause it.

Old 02-11-2008, 07:13 PM
Recovery Vehicle

ORIGINAL: texmanmoore

Mike , please expalin "preload on the swivals" .
Not sure, the ball joints on the steering knuckles? I think they need to be torqued to a certain tolerance.

Old 02-11-2008, 10:02 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Track bar is the connecting rod behind the axle that connects the wheels together. The drag link is the one in front connecting the RH wheel to the pitman arm.

I have yet to pull the front axles, but preload refers to the stress on the front swivels an is set by shims when you tighten the hub to the axle. It is for bearing stress. I am not positive on that one, though. I am curious to hear Mike explain as well.

Old 02-12-2008, 04:40 AM
Mudding

I have the same problem with my 97disco when i get past 60mph to 70mph and i hit a bump it feels like one of those quater viberating beds. Mostly i been taking the backroads as the speed limit is 45, 55, and 50 which helps but I found out if it starts to shimmy and shake at those speeds I will downshift, causeing the rpm to jump up and it lessens or stops, the only problem is if accidently shift to 2nd instead of 3rd it will stop but my rpm gaguge is at 5000rpm

Old 02-12-2008, 10:30 AM
Drifting

Had the same problem with my 98 disco. Loaded up on parts, took it to my mechanic. Replaced steering box (leaking), tie rods, ball joints, shocks, stabilizer shock and radial bushings. Took him two days, but he didn't call me for two more days, because when he drove it, it still would shake when you hit a bump at 60 to 70 miles an hour. Ipaid him and took it home. On the way I hit an expansion joint and nearly lost control. When I got home I did one simple thing, I checked the inflation on the tires. Somebody, probably the oil changeplace I go to, pumped the tiresup to 45 pounds pertire. I lowered them to the recommended amount and it was better, not perfect, but better. I had cheapCooper tires on it and decided to change to Michelin Crossterrains (35 lbs per tire).Since then, nothing, goes over potholes at highway speed with no problems. I'm not sure what fixed it, it could have been a combination of everything Ihad replaced, or it could have been the cheap tires all along. I believe the crossterrains have aheavier side wall than theCoopers. Anyway, that's my disco adventure, I hope it helps.

Quick Reply: 98 discovery front end shakes