Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

99 disco 11 - scammed?

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2012, 01:09 AM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 99 disco 11 - scammed?

Well I bought the above ride not really knowing all the ins and outs of the land rover ! What a dumb-*** since I have owned dozens of foreign autos.
The guy I bought it from ( craigslist) seemed awful sincere and went through every little detail about this and that and how he had changed out the motor etc,,,, The odometer is flashing, which I have now read about , but it says 192000 so I didn't give much thought about a "rollback" scenario attempt . After all 192 and change? If were 100 k I would have been suspicious. He claimed it happened when he replaced the alternator which I see from several posts that s a possibility. It does track the mileage.
Now that I've had time to read the rave and basic manuals - get on line to this forum - and go through the cars options, I have found these issues disturbing to say the least.
**There is NO ABS Light that comes on at start up, nor is there a T/C light that comes on. Don't know how I missed that. I paid 2200 for it but still I should have been more diligent. I'm now thinking the car had the 3 amigos and some F*** went into the cluster and cut out the lcd's to hide this fact. Now I'm pissed beyond words because now that's criminal and an attempt to just F someone. I'll be calling him tomorrow to let him know my thoughts!!!
That would all make sense now sense now since the odometer is flashing and I found one of the cluster screws under the seat!
Not sure what to do now because even if I fix the amigos ( read the sticky) how the heck do I know they work without replacing the whole cluster?
Would there be any other way to disconnect the warning lights without killing the lcd's ?
"felling low-blowed in the mile-hi"
***disco MIke if you happen to read this I have your number and will be calling you. I had PM'd last week about another problem and you gave me your # but I have been slammed at work, Bob in Parker.

Old 07-15-2012, 01:48 AM
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Tell the doushe you want your money back that you have been informed by a dealer what was done and see what happens. If nothing else have your lawyer give him a courtesy call and if infact he has done something illegal with the call from the lawyer he would probably be more than happy to return your money to you. Actually there is a lawyer on this site someone may know him, ask him your options. Sorry i forgot his name.

Old 07-15-2012, 09:14 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like you got a pretty good deal. I don't think it is as bad as you think. First, the guage cluster fhas been replaced and is most likely damaged. They are very cheap used. I think I have a few of them for around 40 bucks. After you replace it, which takes all of about 20 minutes, you will have to get it synced to your bcm by a rover shop or dealer which will probably run around 100 dollars. When it is there, they can tell you why the three amigos are on. Could be a hub, shuttle valves, brake pads, etc. You could easily be on the road and amigo free for under 300 dollars which is not much for a Rover. I agree, the seller is a jack*** but you still got a good deal. Enjoy you Rover. They're lots of fun.

Old 07-15-2012, 09:32 AM
TReK
Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts

You have a reason to be concerned and feel cheated.

But -
The price was low. Yet, for all the miles, the price was a bit on the high side.

You have bigger problems.
Make sure the head gaskets are OK.

Drive it around and make sure the drive train is OK. No vibration and that it shifts good.

If the head gaskets are bad, that will be $2,000 at least. Unless you do it yourself.

I have read the odometer will flash if the BCM was changed.
The mileage is stored in two places. Dash and BCM.

The odometer will accept the HIGHER milage of - the new BCM or what was in the odometer.

You may not even have 192,000 on it.

Maybe return it before the guy spends all the money.
if it was a check - stop payment.
IF cash - well - before he spends it..

Old 07-15-2012, 10:44 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There's no easy way to say this so I'll just do it. This isn't on the hard side of things you'll run into with a LR and need to fix. In their own loving way these are basically all 'mechanic's specials' as far as I can tell.

Fix it. Do the high-miler service recommended once you've checked out the HGs. Do the driveshaft (front) rebuild if you're not already sporting 3 service fittings on it. If you are, at least grease the thing up.

Old 07-15-2012, 12:35 PM
Super Moderator
Received 83 Likes on 80 Posts

agree on the idea to repair, 1000 dollars is light for New to you high miler catch up. also good idea to pay for purchase inspection if buying used.

Old 07-15-2012, 02:13 PM
Mudding

Hey everyone and thanks for the replies. The drive shaft has been replaced, as I did know at least that before I bought it. The motor too has been replaced with a 2000 with 100k on it. It really does drive great, no rattles , shimmies or shakes. Cruises beautifully on the highway and overall is in immaculate condition in and out other than one small dent in the drivers door. I paid the $2200 thinking this is what i got; needs windshield, tires , a good going through and a new key cut. ( key sticks a little in the ignition and you have to back it out a smidgen to make it turn - not a big deal) . I asked the guy if there was anything else that he wanted to tell me and am a straightforward person to deal with. Tell me the truth and I can make my own decision on what I can and can't live with. Don't lie to me, hide s*** and make up stuff about the car. In due time I will find the truth just like I am now. The guy swore to me he was upfront. I even told him "listen it's going to be a fixer upper for my daughter so I'm ok with having to put money into the Right car" . I'm a car guy and can fix anything within reason. He looked me right in the eye and said " oh no that is everything". I have called him and have not heard back but I'll go to his house if I have too. Guess I'm just pissed I've been deceived about the condition of the car. What do you think was done to the lights? I hear the three dings so that's what triggered the investigation. It's one thing to not "disclose" a flaw but it's another to cut out warning lights to hide a huge problem you are aware of. To me that's Fraud in it's purest definition..

Old 07-15-2012, 05:48 PM
Super Moderator
Received 83 Likes on 80 Posts

Maybe he knew, maybe someone fooled him. There have been pix of the lights painted black from the backside. From a legal standpoint you may not have much to stand on with a private sale, and going to his house, getting riled up, making threats, could land you in the crowbar hotel, and cost a lot more to get unwound than the $2200.

If you have a running truck, no ticking, no overheating, then you have a base to work from. A lot of guys spend more than twice what you have to purchase a prime preowned posh sheetmetal possum smasher. I think you got a good deal. Not as good a RoxieMoxie posted ($2000 for a D2 with 117 garage kept eccentric owner miles, and oem gasoline), but good.

Old 07-15-2012, 06:25 PM
Mudding

HAHAHAH Point taken ........
I'll be pulling out the cluster tomorrow and will post. will be anxious to see how it was done; paint, cut or jimmied led's etc.......

Old 07-15-2012, 06:43 PM
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hey buddy i have owned my truck since new and recently had a cluster light go out so i replaced all three and put back in. Odometer started flashing no illegal activity intended so from experience that can happen. I do agree with everyone that it would be hard to prove the person before him did not black out or destroy the lights in the cluster. He may have never known.

Last edited by lr2001silver; 07-15-2012 at 06:47 PM. Reason: misspelled word sorry

Quick Reply: 99 disco 11 - scammed?