Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

99 Disco 2 Won't crank

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2013, 09:47 AM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 99 Disco 2 Won't crank

Hi everybody!
I was posting my newest problem as a continuation to an old thread https://landroverforums.com/forum/di...-sensor-62328/ but I see that it is not bumping it up so I thought I'd make a new post for the new problem.

1999 Disco 2 is not cranking. Here is the cut and paste from my last thread;

Hi Everybody!

Fall became winter and this project is a couple of days from being done. I get to go home in a day or two and she is booked into the shop Dec 18.

I was talking a while back about my squeaking noise to my shop they suspected it might be a main seal starting to deteriorate.

I have simply ignored the sound, as it goes away shortly after the engine starts, and has become less and less pronounced.

I'm looking forward to time off.

Of course, life is not that simple. I went out today to start the truck and it won't crank.

I measured the battery at 12.2 volts. A little low. I checked all connections. They are good. I checked all fuses (inside and out), they appear to be good. I switched around some of those big yellow relays.

When I try to crank it, I get a tick from under the dash, and one that appears under the center console.

There is no red immobilzer light on. Just to be sure I used my key fob to unlock and lock a bunch of times. After about 7 times I hear a little whirring sound from under the dash on the passenger side.

I tried starting it in Neutral, and even tried shifting to low range. ( I was in low range yesterday pushing through some deep snow). There is no snow or ice build up anywhere in or around the starter or under the hood.

After running in deep snow yesterday, I made two stops in this little town that I'm in before returning to the hotel. It stopped and started just fine.

I tried a couple of knocks on the starter with a big wrench.

I will get a trickle charger on it right away. I quickly had someone put the booster cables on, and got the same results. We did not let it sit for very long, but still no crank at all.

Recently, I have thrown another occasional code (ultraguage) when running down the highway. Not sure if it's related; P0734.

I will search for advice on changing out the battery. I seem to recall something about unhooking the battery can be bad.

Any ideas? Any suggestions on what to look for next?

Thanks,

My next post later that day;

I'm going to go WAY out on a limb here and say it's got to be the battery. /end sarcasm

12.2 seems low. I'll trickle charge overnight. If that doesn't do it I'll replace. Going to clean up the terminals. Hopefully my radio code is written down somewhere or maybe it doesn't apply to me.

And the post from this morning;

Charged up the battery. 12.6 volts. No start. Put the booster cables with another truck on it for a bit and still no start.

The starter is making a loud single click noise when I turn the key. I've tried banging it. No luck.

Flat deck is coming today to take it into the shop.

I'm thinking that it is just frozen. I was pushing a lot of snow the day before this happened. Temps around -20 Celcius.

If anybody has any suggestions to try anything before the flat deck gets here later on today, I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks,

Old 12-12-2013, 11:57 AM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Solved! Pulled all wires. Cleaned everything back up and put it back together.

Sometimes it's the simple things.