Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

99 Disco II No Heat! It's getting Cold!

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2006, 06:53 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99 Disco II No Heat! It's getting Cold!

Just bought a 99 Disco II with 95K. Wife and I love it as do the kids. Had a Cherokee and an Xterra before, this is much better

Can't seem to get the heater core to heat up, at all. It's getting cold and Barb would like heat.

Could this be a bad thermostat always in bypass? If not I may be looking at a plugged core or lines.

The AC runs fine, all the servos go where they are told, the motor temp is always mid gauge.

Flipped down the glove box to watch the linkage and felt the heater core lines, the did not get hot after 20 minutes of idle.

Jeff

Old 08-13-2006, 07:23 PM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts
Default RE: 99 Disco II No Heat! It's getting Cold!

What do you want to bet you are low on coolant, go check your bottle. Will your heater heat up, when the engine is warm, if you hold the engine at around 2000RPM's?
Mike

Old 08-13-2006, 08:55 PM
Three Wheeling

Cold? Where are you located where you can enjoy the cold? Here in Dallas it been over 100* for two weeks.

Old 08-13-2006, 09:50 PM
Drifting

Hi Mike,

Coolant is full, I have a small leak on the back of the intake so I keep on top if it. I get zero heat at the core even after a spirited drive. I am a compenent wrench having done a few engine swaps, motor rebuilds etc.... Not a lot of time anymore as I have moved on to sales. Was looking for a "That happened to me" before I pull and pressure/Flow test the hoses and core. Messy and the core looks like a PITA to remove.

It was cold in the Adirondacks and now here in the Pennsylvania Wilds. Heated seats take the edge off, but colder weather is comming up. We had a low of 39 this week.

Old 08-13-2006, 10:32 PM
Administrator

Get a feel from both the heater hoses, are they both hot when the engine is at operating temp and the heater is set high?
Mike

Old 08-13-2006, 11:28 PM
Drifting

Mke,

The hoses are different temperatures even after an hour of driving. Thought that odd, but it's my first british car. Need to get one of those cool laser pointed temp sensors.

Yes, the temp controls are both switched to high.

If I am correct there is no heater control valve and the heat or cold is controlled by the flaps in the air control box. My SAAB also works that way.

Jeff

Old 08-14-2006, 09:56 AM
Administrator

ORIGINAL: jskrebs

Mke,

The hoses are different temperatures even after an hour of driving. Thought that odd, but it's my first british car. Need to get one of those cool laser pointed temp sensors.

Yes, the temp controls are both switched to high.

If I am correct there is no heater control valve and the heat or cold is controlled by the flaps in the air control box. My SAAB also works that way.

Jeff
Jeff,
You are correct about the heater control. I am concerned that you might have a bad control head for your A/C, hope not cause they are expensive.
Let me know what you find.
Mike

Old 08-14-2006, 10:27 AM
Drifting

Mike,

So you do no think the thermostat is bad?

Why do you think the head is bad? Not turning off the AC and it is overpowering the heater core?

Jeff

Old 08-14-2006, 11:00 AM
Administrator

ORIGINAL: jskrebs

Mike,

So you do no think the thermostat is bad?

Why do you think the head is bad? Not turning off the AC and it is overpowering the heater core?

Jeff
Jeff,
The t/stat on D2's are so cheap that it wouldn't hurt to replace it, my concern though is that if it were the t/stat the engine would be running real rich and you would smell it thru the exhaust. When driving around, do you ever notice your electric fans running, if so the engine would have to be at operating temp.
Mike

Old 08-14-2006, 08:26 PM
Drifting

Thanks Mike,

Dropped the D2 off for PA inspection and my mechanic thinks the core is plugged with Barrs.
I changed the bulkhead to engine heater hoses when I first got the truck due to a small leak. He thinks the PO may have loaded the core up with stop leak. He is going to attempt to flush the core out with water.

The car does not run rich, actually it sound kind of cool, must have missed V8's

How big a deal is it to change the intake gasket? Have a small leak there as well.

Quick Reply: 99 Disco II No Heat! It's getting Cold!