Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

99 Discovery Won't Start

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2012, 03:46 PM
8th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99 Discovery Won't Start

I was driving my 1999 Land Rover Discovery 2 and it it shut off while I was driving it. Now I can't start it. It turns over but it won't start.

I replaced the fuel pump.

I replaced the 2 coil packs.

I replaced the timing chain because it was loose and had slack in it.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what to check next?

Does anyone have a troubleshooting guide as well?

Thanks in advance,

JCC

Last edited by 415JCC; 07-28-2012 at 07:21 PM.
Old 07-28-2012, 04:33 PM
TReK
Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts

Toyota does not make a Land Rover Discovery.
I would carefully look at your truck and decide what you own and are working on.

then post here again what you are working on and we can try to help you if it is a Land Rover Discovery II.

Old 07-28-2012, 04:37 PM
TReK
Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts

You need to verify the fuel pump is getting power.
You need to verify you have spark when you are cranking.

You are missing either fuel or spark.

Also - put in a code scanner into the OBD II port and scan for codes.
You may have codes in there - even without a check engine light on.
If you have codes, then post the code number here.

Old 07-28-2012, 06:11 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

If no spark at cranking, suspect the crank position sensor. Rear of engine on left side. I hope if you have a Disco, and did the timing chain, that you also did the oil pump.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
d2 ckp.pdf (1.55 MB, 217 views)
Old 07-28-2012, 07:32 PM
8th Gear

@jfall fuel pump is producing 50 psi & spark is present at the plugs while cranking.

Is there a troubleshooting guide available anywhere? I have a Land Rover Discovery Series II Workshop Manual but it doesn't have a troubleshooting guide.

JCC

Old 07-28-2012, 09:29 PM
Super Moderator

OK, so it turns over (starter OK), you have fuel pressue (pump OK and inertia switch reset), you have spark (CKP may be in the clear).

If no fuel to cylinders, then that could be a problem. Check fuse # 1 under hood box. It controls every injector. The ECU grounds each injector to make it squirt just the right quantity of fuel. Could test with a squirt of starting fluid (a small squirt, not half the can).

While you are at it check every fuse and fuse link. Fuse 10 is fuel pump. Fuel pump should run for a second or two and power down, unless engine starts.

Any codes, or is the dashboard check engine light on?

What about the alarm light, what does it do?

Re-verify plug wiring that you moved to change coil packs. Check sparks again with a spare plug attached to existing plug wire and laid on manifold. Don't make GF or SWMBO hold it. Also good idea not to let GF and SWMBO in the garage at the same time, what with breaker bars and such sitting around.

Last edited by Savannah Buzz; 07-28-2012 at 09:32 PM.
Old 08-03-2012, 01:49 PM
8th Gear

Thanks Savannah Buzz, I'll be working on it this weekend. I'll post what I find.

415JCC

Old 08-04-2012, 03:37 PM
8th Gear

I checked and there is spark present.

I sprayed starting fluid into the intake manifold after holding then throttle open. Tried to start it and the engine rotates but doesn't even try to start not even a sputter.

This is my brother's vehicle and I'm trying to help him out. He tells me that after the coil packs were replaced he was driving it regularly. Then one day it just shut off and hasn't started since.

There was a flashing led light on the dash. it stopped flashing and is off right now.

Could it be the factory security system that shut it off and is keeping it from starting?

Does anyone make a good repair manual...Chiltons.....Haynes or is there a troubleshoothig guide available anywhere?

Last edited by 415JCC; 08-04-2012 at 04:39 PM.
Old 08-06-2012, 11:01 AM
8th Gear

I have some new info. I'm told about 3 weeks before it shut off the timing chain was replaced. Could the new chain have failed or slipped?

I'm just baffled that if there's spark present and fuel and or starting fluid that I don't even get a sputter or backfire when cranking the engine over.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Old 08-06-2012, 01:01 PM
Super Moderator

Thw whole shop manual, called the RAVE, is a free download below. Any stored codes you can read with a borrowed scanner may be a help. That flashing red LED was the security system light. Alarm system can inhibit starting. If you have the remote to arm/disarm (key fob) this would be a good time to do that several times.

Quick Reply: 99 Discovery Won't Start