Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

99 Series II Check Engine Light

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2007, 10:04 PM
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99 Series II Check Engine Light

Myhusband and i purchased a 99 with about 92000 miles onit, back in july ever since we have had nothing but problems. As soon as we got it the check engine light came on and we took it auto zone to have the codes read. 3 clyinders had misfired then. 2 weeks later the radiator hoses busted and we had to replace them. And then Friday i get in my car and turn it on and as soon as i did it started vibrating really bad, and when i started driving my check engine light came on, so we took it back to autozone and the 1st cylinder misfired, the light went off the next day. I started it up this morning to go to work it vibrated the same way and i drove about the same distance and the check engine light came back, i had to get to work and have yet had a chance to go get the codes run again. We have already replaced the spark plugs, we have the wires but have not had the chance to replace them as my husband is always gone. Is there anything else besides it misfiring that could be causing this shaking/vibrateing? Its not rough idleing or anything except when i first turned it on this morning. The shaking goes away as soon as i accelerate. If anybody has any ideas on what it could be please let me know. Thanks!

Caty

Old 09-20-2007, 07:00 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts
Default RE: 99 Series II Check Engine Light

I also have a 99 D2, great truck, sounds like yours wasn't taken care of. What brand of plugs and wires did you buy?
After the proper plug wires are installed I would suggest decarboning the engine, flushing the crank case and running some good gas additive thru it. What octane gas are you using?

Old 09-20-2007, 10:38 AM
4th Gear

i believe he got bosch plugs and as for the wires i am not sure i just know he orded them from auto zone. We only put 93 premium in it. it has turned out to be a huge pain, seeing as it constantly does this. And i'm not sure if i should be driving it but i have no choice because my husband is a Marine and is away doing some advanced training. We have only had a little over two months and we are already talking about getting rid of it, just due to the fact that it keeps misfiring. When we take it autozone to get it coded it always throws a p0300 something code, this past time it was P0301 i believe. Anyway help would be greatly appreciated, my husband is always wondering if it could possiably be the fuel filter that needs changeing?

Old 09-20-2007, 11:24 AM
Administrator

I am concerned as to the brand of plug wires you ordered, see if you can get the brand. As for the misfire, the plugs and wires should have been changed as soon as this started happening and once done, the truck will start running better.

Old 09-20-2007, 07:15 PM
Rock Crawling

I just has that problem with mine too. Theengine light was flashing and it sounded like it was running on 7 cylinders. The number 5 plug wire was arcing to the valve cover. I taped the wire with some heavy rubber electric tape for temperary. And reset the engine light with a code reader. I will be changing plugs and wires soon. I think I will go with the Bosch+4 plugs and Magnacore 8mm wires. Has anyone tried theFusion plugs?

Willie

Old 09-20-2007, 08:15 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

The plug wires from Autozone are Bosch 7mm. I got them when I first got the truck and they are shot after 1 year. I took them in and replaced them under warranty and am on my 2nd set. I would recommend getting your money back, spending a few more bucks and getting Magnacor wires. I have yet to run them, but everyone on here swears by them. The Bosch wires aren't worth crap.

Willie- wait for Mike to get back on. He changed to Fusion recently from +4

Old 09-20-2007, 08:54 PM
Administrator

I am currently running the Fusions in my 99, I believe they are out performing the Plus 4's that I have run in my last two vehicles.

Old 09-21-2007, 04:00 PM
4wd Low

Hello and Semper FI, as a Marine my self I know what you must be going through, I will tell you this I swear by these trucks, it sounds to me like it was not taken care of, and even in rough shape they are very good trucks, I agree with the others when they say get the good wires as there are lots of substandard ones out there, and be careful with parts from AutoZone, they will constantly get the parts confused with series one discoveries as their computer system cannot differentiate between the two always order from the year 2000, I worked for AutoZone as a Manager and I will tell you that the kids they have working for them well lets just say that most of them are well act their age… my wife took our truck there when I was on deployment thinking because I worked there,that they will take care of it but it cost me more in the end… their main goal is to sell sell sell… so be aware of what you are buying as with any auto parts store these trucks can be very temperamental when it comes to replacement parts. Always try to get Land Rover parts or well made replacements made to specs, top notch parts can cost but they will not fail you… it also sounds like its about due for its scheduled Service if memory serves, there is one at 90,000 and one at 97,000 if you have your manual packet there should be a passport to service booklet which will show you the frequency of service your truck had, best suggestion is to take it to a certified shop that deals with Land rover as you will fair better on the prices.
[sm=patriot.gif]

Old 09-21-2007, 04:45 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yep, it seems to me that your problems from day one , have been related to the same and only thing ( except for the rad hoses of course). Now if only someone could install good plug wires, I'm sure that you could have peace of mind for a while.

Keep in mind that it is normal to have to spend a few thousand in the first few months of ownership, because more often than not, the previous owners decide to part with their Discoveries because they are at that time where normal wear and tearstartskicking in.

Old 10-03-2007, 11:30 PM
4th Gear

the light did go off after about a week, and two days ago it came back on and it was flashing but then it quit and just stayed soild. my husband checked everything out, said everything looked good. and he is gone again now, so he has yet to be to change the wires (kinda hard to do when your home for 10 hours every week and thats it). I have been driving it because i have no choice, i have to get to work. We are seriously considering selling it just because of all the problems we have had and due to the fact that my husband is never home to work on it. Everytime i take it to autozone and get the Service Engine Soon light read its always Cylinder 1 Misfire. We are at the point that we don't know what else to do, or what could be causing it. If anybody has any ideas please let me know ... thanks!

Caty

Quick Reply: 99 Series II Check Engine Light