Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AAAAAARGH my turn to ask // AC prob.

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2008, 08:03 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default AAAAAARGH my turn to ask // AC prob.

Gents, My AC ain't working. Had a custom rad built last year to solve a leaking rad problem. When they did this job, they flushed and refilled the AC and it was freezing cold. Then came mid-october, when I decided to have a head gasket job done at the dealership. Since it was mid-october, I never tested the AC till today which is the first real warm weather that requested it. The darn thing blows very warm, even at the coolest setting, with recirculation and on auto mode. Warm air is all I get.

I checked the connections, and the compressor is connected. I checked the under hood and under dash fuses, and all is fine. Now my question is....When they do a head gasket job, do they need to remove the AC compressor to make room to work ??? Cause if so, I have a feeling that they haven't refilled it. But it is true that I don't hear the compressor come on at all. Doesn't mean that it doesn't, I just don't hear it.

Now what???

As I'm re-reading myself.....I remembered that you know how you usually get very humid warm air when you start the AC,I don't get that!

What does this all mean ???

Old 06-07-2008, 08:19 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: AAAAAARGH my turn to ask // AC prob.

What year do you have? My guess is that the seals dried up some from not being used. I believe you are supposed to run the ac every week or so just to maintain the seals. I would just get it refilled. I used to do it once a year in my Jeepat about $100 a pop and it would be good for a year. The next timeI had to do itI was going to buy a kit anddo it myself, but I sold the truck. I am curious what is involved with the kit though...

Old 06-07-2008, 08:55 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Open the hood and see if the compressor is running.

Old 06-07-2008, 09:01 PM
Team Owner

OK, I can only post one sentance at a time. You will need to take it to a shop to have the A/C recharged if it is empty.

Old 06-07-2008, 09:02 PM
Team Owner

I do not know if they need to remove the compressor to do head gaskets. Those re-charge kits are only good for "topping off" the system.

Old 06-07-2008, 09:08 PM
Team Owner

And yes you need to run the A/C for 10-15 minutes every once a week to keep the seals from drying out.

Old 06-07-2008, 09:09 PM
Team Owner

The best way to defrost your windows is with the A/C on. Just turn up the heat. OK, I think I'm done, sorry for so many replies.

Old 06-07-2008, 09:11 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks, I can't even hear the clutch come on at all. I'm told on Dweb that if it is low on 134, it won't even try to work thus explaining why the clutch won't come on. If this is true, its kind of a relief. But the system was refilled last summer after a rad job, and was blowing icy cold the last time I used it. Now I need to find out if they either removed the compressor, or disconnect the lines when doing a HG job at the dealership. Cause if so....well it will completely relieve me from worrying about a worst problem confirming that they simply forgot to refill it, and of course I'll be driving there on monday for them to fill it at their expense.

Old 06-07-2008, 09:13 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Alright Spike, now you're just post whoring. You're going to have to be patient if you want to top D. Mike.

Old 06-07-2008, 09:14 PM
Team Owner

It wont run when low to keep the compressor from self destructing. I have a nice long reply typed but when I posted it it said "page not found" and the post was lost.

Quick Reply: AAAAAARGH my turn to ask // AC prob.