Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

About to make the purchase... some help needed quickly!

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2010, 03:58 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Smile About to make the purchase... some help needed quickly!

First off, thanks to all for the advise thus far. Been very helpful in my decision. I went to look at the Disco today and took it for a drive, and noticed a few things. Here is my info, tell me what you think:
Condition: 2003 (post oil pump VIN), 100K, SE7, Cold weather package, 1 owner, Carfax shows all the maintenance was done at the LR dealer. Looks like oil changes every 4K, a few window regulators, brakes, belt, etc.
Inside looks beautiful. A small rip on the side of the seat, but the actual leather all over looks great. Inside is SUPER clean and looks like the only seat actually used was the driver's.
Outside is super clean as well. No dents or dings (really!), and one good scratch on the hood and one on the roof. The front 1/4 looks like a repaint but no other panels look touched. It has the LR brush guard and lights, rear ladder, tail guards and side steps. Tires are decent, but looks like they are starting to get some dry rot/cracking. The windshield has one star that looks like it could be fixed.
Engine runs smooth and strong and no leaks detected. Sounds like a small tick/valve tap close to idle, but nothing too loud. The fluids all look in good shape and no smells. Exhaust showed no smoke.
Road test was good. Went good in drive and sport mode, stopped straight, shifted in and out of hi/lo fine and drove good in both. Got the TC to kick in, tried the HD and the ABS and all worked.
Issues I saw which I need help on:
The AC was not working up front. Hit auto and put on low, and the air was warm. When I turned on the rear AC, it felt cold though. I think there are 2 different compressors, is that right? If so, what are your thoughts on the AC and cost? All operations of the climate control worked, but it did not blow cold (and it was a 70 degree day).
I noticed a bit of water up on the roof in the corners of both front doors near the windshield. I could not tell where it was coming from. The truck did not smell like it had a bad leak, and there was not really staining. I will attach a picture of the outside of the front rain gutter. Is there anyone with leak issues up front? Something to worry about?
In low gear, there seemed to be a bit of a whine. I was on pavement, and figured this might be a bit normal but not 100% sure. Thoughts?
Thanks so much in advance for the help. This forum has been fantastic so far!
Here is the corner of the windshield on the passenger's side... anything abnormal here for a leak?
Name:  utf-8BSU1HMDExMjMtMjAxMDEwMjctMTMzMy5qcGc.jpg
Views: 27
Size:  36.6 KB

Old 10-27-2010, 06:15 PM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Okay, i'm really curious about your leak because mine leaks too. Was the headliner wet right at the top of the plastic posts?

Btw, there is only one a/c compressor in the vehicle.

Old 10-27-2010, 06:29 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by 'BamaBoy
Okay, i'm really curious about your leak because mine leaks too. Was the headliner wet right at the top of the plastic posts?

Btw, there is only one a/c compressor in the vehicle.
Yes, the headliner was wet right at the top of the plastic on the front pillars on both sides. Not TOO soaked, but it did not totally pour today... was just a light rain. How wet does it get? Very bad? Honestly, it makes me feel a bit better yours leaks too!
I don't know what I was thinking about the two compressors. I remember seeing something about 2. Maybe 2 blowers. IDK... not sure. As a follow up, the dealer said they charged the system and it is now blowing cold. I still figure there is a leak somewhere. I'm stilll $1,000 away on price though... we will see what happens.
Do you get a whine in low gear at all?

Old 10-27-2010, 07:26 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes you will get a wine in low range which increases as you make a turn, you will get that wine in high range as well for that matter.

Old 10-27-2010, 07:28 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by timdunbar
Yes you will get a wine in low range which increases as you make a turn, you will get that wine in high range as well for that matter.
Thank you! I figured that was the case but wanted to make sure. Everything looks pretty good with this one so far!

Old 10-27-2010, 07:52 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

The leak is most likely the roof rails, they bolt to the roof, the bolts come all the way through and there is a gasket where they mate to the roof.
The bolts car wiggle loose or the gaskets can be bad.
Grab the roof rails and try and move them, check the gaskets too.

As for the a/c, did you drive it with the a/c on?
If not...the electric fans behind the grill (a/c fans) only come on when the engine has reached normal operating temp AND the outside temp is above 75? degrees F.
So if it is only 70 and the truck has sat all night and you just started it and then checked the a/c it may not blow cold because there is no air moving past the a/c condenser.

Drive it again, check the roof rails and leave the a/c on the coldest setting for the test drive.

Old 10-27-2010, 08:07 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

buy it....

Old 10-27-2010, 08:10 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by Spike555

As for the a/c, did you drive it with the a/c on?
If not...the electric fans behind the grill (a/c fans) only come on when the engine has reached normal operating temp AND the outside temp is above 75? degrees F.
Yes, it was at operating temp for a while... was just hot blowing cold. In fact, I tried to get it to heat up as high as possible to check the cooling system, fans, etc. Hell, I had it pretty much sideways on the city streets lol.

Old 10-27-2010, 08:11 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by agthird
buy it....
The deal seems decent and things seem to check out. There is a lower mileage 04 I could get for around a grand more, so need to check that out. Same color which I don't like and doesn't have the add ons, but I don't really care.

Old 10-27-2010, 08:17 PM
Recovery Vehicle

OK everyone... ONE more question (sorry for being such a PITA). It has the aux driving/fog lights on the LR brush guard, and the switch on the dash... but they do not work at all. Were those all dealer installed? Any thoughts on what that could be? I will put pics of the switch and lights:
Switch is the last one on the bottom under the cruise.

Quick Reply: About to make the purchase... some help needed quickly!