Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

abs fix but still got the 3 amigos and friend

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2015, 05:06 PM
Winching
Received 40 Likes on 37 Posts
Default abs fix but still got the 3 amigos and friend

I just finished the abs/3 amigos wire mod. I tested the switches and it read 3.01 standing, 2.01 on the switches when pressed. So switch was working fine. I did everything I was suppose to but when I turn on my truck the 3 amigos appear with my brake light on warning. Any suggestions? Could I have a abs sensor problem that would throw the lights?

Old 12-08-2015, 05:13 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 89 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by mx468
I just finished the abs/3 amigos wire mod. I tested the switches and it read 3.01 standing, 2.01 on the switches when pressed. So switch was working fine. I did everything I was suppose to but when I turn on my truck the 3 amigos appear with my brake light on warning. Any suggestions? Could I have a abs sensor problem that would throw the lights?
All starts with the codes. Need a scanner to read abs codes.

Otherwise you will just throw bits at it.

Old 12-08-2015, 06:19 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 43 Likes on 41 Posts

In addition to cappedup's wise advice you'll need the ABS scanner to clear codes after you make the repair.

Old 12-08-2015, 07:54 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I've got a scanner I can rent to you.

https://landroverforums.com/forum/di...go-rent-75733/

Yes, this is shameless self-promotion, but I'll use your money for only good IPA...

Old 12-08-2015, 08:43 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you a hard code stored you will need the 3 amigos to clear it or you maybe have other issue(s)

Old 12-08-2015, 08:51 PM
Winching
Received 40 Likes on 37 Posts

So your saying even after I made the abs wire fix, I still need to clear the hard codes out of system so lights would go off my dash, unless I actual have something going on with my abs. so what's up with the red brake light staying on?

Old 12-08-2015, 09:49 PM
Super Moderator
Received 95 Likes on 90 Posts

Not usually for the SVS. They usually reset every key cycle. If the lights never go off its probably a different fault like a wheel speed sensor.

abs fix but still got the 3 amigos and friend-image.jpg

Last edited by jafir; 12-09-2015 at 12:40 PM. Reason: make the photo bigger for people to actually read it without clicking on it
Old 12-09-2015, 12:36 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 43 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by mx468
So your saying even after I made the abs wire fix, I still need to clear the hard codes out of system so lights would go off my dash, unless I actual have something going on with my abs. so what's up with the red brake light staying on?
Yes, you will need to clear the codes after making the repair in order for the Amigos to extinguish.

There are only two cases where your brake light would be illuminated.
1. Low brake fluid. The reservoir cap is actually a switch that opens ground when low on fluid.
2. E-brake on or faulty E-brake switch. Same scenario as above, ground opens when E-brake is Activated.

I would bet you are low on fluid. Pickup a pint of Dot4 synthetic and fill to the "max" line indicated on the reservoir.

If you want to test before purchasing the fluid, just unscrew the cap make sure the plunger is pushed up and go see if the Light goes out. Also, make sure enrage is "off".

Last edited by coors; 12-09-2015 at 12:40 PM.
Old 12-09-2015, 12:39 PM
Super Moderator
Received 95 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by coors
Yes, you will need to clear the codes after making the repair in order for the Amigos to extinguish.

There are only two cases where your brake light would be illuminated.
1. Low brake fluid. The reservoir cap is actually a switch that opens ground when low on fluid.
2. E-brake on or faulty E-brake switch. Same scenario as above, ground opens when E-brake is Activated.

I would bet your low on fluid.
I count 9 other things on the screen shot I posted.

Also, the SVS fault does not require a scanner to turn the lights off. It turns off every time you restart the car. If the lights stay on even after a restart you have a different code than the SVS fault or the repair wasn't successful.

Old 12-12-2015, 12:26 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Brake light on means 2 things, low brake fluid or emergency brake switch. Take the master cylinder brake fluid cap off and bridge the 2 wires together, if the brake light still on then it is the emergency brake switch either defective or a disconnected wire. Yes, if you have hard codes stored you need to clear them in order to get rid of dash lights, by the way, if you have other issues like bad ABS sensor, wiring or defective hub just to name a few, those will need to be corrected in order to clear the codes.

Quick Reply: abs fix but still got the 3 amigos and friend