Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ABS and off road question

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2017, 02:09 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ABS and off road question

So I was watching Disco **** on youtube and noticed what appeared to be ABS pressure applied to the airborn wheel during articulation, this would push torque to the other wheel. Is this an option or something?

Old 09-09-2017, 02:31 PM
Super Moderator
Received 1,509 Likes on 1,236 Posts

Part of the traction control system at work

Old 09-09-2017, 06:32 PM
Drifting

So mine doesnt do that. No warning lights, maybe it doesnt work. ABS works though

Last edited by Apestit; 09-09-2017 at 06:42 PM.
Old 09-09-2017, 09:03 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 54 Likes on 49 Posts

You have to he semi aggressive to make the traction control kick in. It will grab the wheel in the air a little bit at idle but it won't really kick in unless you give it some gas. If your abs is working and you don't have any lights on, your traction control should be operational.

Old 09-10-2017, 09:08 AM
Drifting

Ok thank you very much, Ill play with it some more.

Old 09-10-2017, 11:50 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 35 Likes on 33 Posts

Driving a D2 offroad is odd compared to older 4WDs. You have to think wheel spin, and not think to be smooth and keep grip in the wheels. There's a video out there that shows the difference between how to drive a D2 vs D1 offroad. The guy's name is Andrew. You have to keep steady, moderate throttle on a D2, but they will out perform a D1 once you get used to the ABS system. This is why, people say if you have a D2 with CDL, that you'll be unstoppable. They're scary offroad in stock trim if you've never really done much 4 wheeling.

Hope that helps a bit

Old 09-10-2017, 12:43 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Personally, I'm impressed with the cdl and TC capability, but it makes for a less than controlled experience. Because you have to maintain momentum and constant throttle, crawling over taller obstacles can be very difficult.

You either have to hit it with some momentum, which is very hard on the truck, or attempt to crawl over it which results in a very jerky situation that is also not very nice to the drivetrain. Personally I would prefer lockers and a slow crawl, but for a factory system, it is very capable.

Old 09-11-2017, 06:56 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,189 Likes on 850 Posts

Originally Posted by KingKoopa
Personally, I'm impressed with the cdl and TC capability, but it makes for a less than controlled experience. Because you have to maintain momentum and constant throttle, crawling over taller obstacles can be very difficult.

You either have to hit it with some momentum, which is very hard on the truck, or attempt to crawl over it which results in a very jerky situation that is also not very nice to the drivetrain. Personally I would prefer lockers and a slow crawl, but for a factory system, it is very capable.
These are the same findings I've noticed. CDL is well worth hooking up, if you have it available and makes all the difference in the world...but crawling is still somewhat difficult...seems herky-jerky as it switches from one wheel to another and really never gives you enough to get moving again if you are in sand or mud. Momentum rules the day, normally. But, even with that...still wouldn't call this vehicle "unstoppable" (as mentioned earlier in another post), whereas, "capable" fits much better.

I've been kicking around the idea of doing a lincoln-locker on the rear of my trail rig. Been reading online, advice is all over the place.

Brian.

Old 09-11-2017, 07:11 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by The Deputy
These are the same findings I've noticed. CDL is well worth hooking up, if you have it available and makes all the difference in the world...but crawling is still somewhat difficult...seems herky-jerky as it switches from one wheel to another and really never gives you enough to get moving again if you are in sand or mud. Momentum rules the day, normally. But, even with that...still wouldn't call this vehicle "unstoppable" (as mentioned earlier in another post), whereas, "capable" fits much better.

I've been kicking around the idea of doing a lincoln-locker on the rear of my trail rig. Been reading online, advice is all over the place.

Brian.
Yessir, if you keep the momentum up you can go surprisingly far.

Personally Im not a spool fan but I guess I can't argue against it for a dedicated trail rig.

At some point I plan on doing front and rear KAM electric lockers, but the combined cost of axle shafts and lockers being more than what I paid for the vehicle is a hard pill to swallow lol.