Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ABS sensor confusion...

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2011, 08:08 AM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ABS sensor confusion...

ABS Amigo reads a bad front right sensor. Ive looked into buying one from AB which there are 2 so I have a question into those guys. Aside from that, I see that I can just by the sensor. When I go into my RAVE manual, on page 70-46, there is a warning that states "ABS sensor is supplied fitted to wheel hub and must not be removed". Now, not being a top notch mechanic, Can I still replace just the sensor and not the whole hub? Appreciate the help as always guys.

If it helps, its a 02' Disco SE II with 100k on it.

Old 07-19-2011, 08:29 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

Yes you can use just the sensor, just realize that you can get that code from a warped rotor, brake dust and or bad bearings also. Were there any other codes, have your wheels been covered with a lot of black brake dust and when was the last time you did a 2 quart brake flush?

Old 07-19-2011, 09:24 AM
Drifting

That was the only code it pulled. 044 front passenger wheel speed sensor or something along those lines. There is no brake dust as everything is fairly clean. If the rotor was warped, would I feel a shake in the front? There is no shake or would just a slight warp throw the code? Ive jiggled the sensor to make sure the connection is good but I havent taken it off and just wiped it like some others have suggested. The modulator was replaced in june of 10' before I purchased it from a good friend of me. The 3 amigos have been on ever since I just havent bothered to tackle anything. Not sure if the brakes were flushed or not at that point.

Old 07-19-2011, 04:59 PM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

As part of doing the repair, make sure to do a full 2 quart brake flush, old fluid will kill your ABS module.

Old 07-20-2011, 09:50 AM
Drifting

Brake flush will be done this weekend or next! Need 1 more opinion on something this Im going to kill this thread. Guys at AB sell 2 different front sensors. One is the old style that is on there now. The other is a new style LR has come out with that goes all the way to the abs unit and has to be hard wired in. He says that is the best one to use which is alittle more expensive..$30 bucks more or so. Money isnt the issue, just want to know if anyone has had experience with these that the new ones are better than the old ones or what not. Thanks for the help Mike and anyone else!

Old 07-20-2011, 12:11 PM
Winching

Originally Posted by mwood2121
Brake flush will be done this weekend or next! Need 1 more opinion on something this Im going to kill this thread. Guys at AB sell 2 different front sensors. One is the old style that is on there now. The other is a new style LR has come out with that goes all the way to the abs unit and has to be hard wired in. He says that is the best one to use which is alittle more expensive..$30 bucks more or so. Money isnt the issue, just want to know if anyone has had experience with these that the new ones are better than the old ones or what not. Thanks for the help Mike and anyone else!
I believe the problem with the old style ones was moisture and dirt getting into the snap connector and making it look like a bad sensor. Sets off the warning lights when really the only problem is a dirty connector. The new sensor just eliminates the connector. Personally, I'd just clean up the connector and put a little sealant on it first.