Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ABS Sensor Electrical Failure Three Amigos

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2016, 10:26 AM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ABS Sensor Electrical Failure Three Amigos

I was receiving the three amigos fault on my discovery II. Two issues were ABS switch modulator and right hand ABS sensor electrical failure. I replaced both the switch modulator and the ABS sensor with brand new ones. The switch modulator fault cleared, but I am still receiving the RH ABS sensor electrical failure. I had to splice in the connector in the engine bay as the connector from the SLABS unit just broke due to age and brittleness. I spliced and shrink wrapped the 2 metal pins from that butt end of that connector, and tested for continuity back to the connector to the SLABS and they tested good. I plugged them into the connector end for the ABS Sensor, I cleared the faults with my scanner and turn off the key and back on and the error RH ABS electrical fault reappears. It seems it is reading the fault as soon as the key is placed in position 2 as it self test all the sensors. I am not sure what else to try to resolve the error as it should be clearing itself. I plug my OHM Meter to the ABS Sensor connector end, and resistance tests OK. What else should I test to try an resolve this error?

Old 03-27-2016, 11:32 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 245 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by pacman68
I was receiving the three amigos fault on my discovery II. Two issues were ABS switch modulator and right hand ABS sensor electrical failure. I replaced both the switch modulator and the ABS sensor with brand new ones. The switch modulator fault cleared, but I am still receiving the RH ABS sensor electrical failure. I had to splice in the connector in the engine bay as the connector from the SLABS unit just broke due to age and brittleness. I spliced and shrink wrapped the 2 metal pins from that butt end of that connector, and tested for continuity back to the connector to the SLABS and they tested good. I plugged them into the connector end for the ABS Sensor, I cleared the faults with my scanner and turn off the key and back on and the error RH ABS electrical fault reappears. It seems it is reading the fault as soon as the key is placed in position 2 as it self test all the sensors. I am not sure what else to try to resolve the error as it should be clearing itself. I plug my OHM Meter to the ABS Sensor connector end, and resistance tests OK. What else should I test to try an resolve this error?
I had to splice mine as well and I don't know what it is about the abs lines but I got the same error. On both sides after splicing. I redid the splices and it went away. That's all I can suggest. I really don't know what I did differently the second time but the errors went away.

Old 03-27-2016, 12:01 PM
4wd Low

Originally Posted by Charlie_V
I had to splice mine as well and I don't know what it is about the abs lines but I got the same error. On both sides after splicing. I redid the splices and it went away. That's all I can suggest. I really don't know what I did differently the second time but the errors went away.
Did it go Away immediately or did you drive it a little while and then it went away? Did you have to clear codes again? Did you apply any shielding on the splice?

Old 03-27-2016, 12:15 PM
Camel Trophy

Did it go Away immediately or did you drive it a little while and then it went away? Did you have to clear codes again? Did you apply any shielding on the splice?
I used shrink tubing both times. I have read that you cannot splice to the actual connectors.

Now that I am thinking, the first time I just twisted the wires together then used spring tubing. The second time I did the same out I also soldered in the middle.

The error code went away immediately. But I don't know about the SES warning light. I have a code reader that clears abs codes and warnings and I'm sure I cleared the warning right after I saw that there was no error code.

Also, my situation was worse the second time because I cut out the connectors and I ran out of wire. I know you know what a pain the location of those wires is. I cut extra wire from an old abs line and lengthened them both. Meaning that I had two connections on each one. Ugh I'm reliving it.

Old 03-27-2016, 12:31 PM
4wd Low

Originally Posted by Charlie_V
I used shrink tubing both times. I have read that you cannot splice to the actual connectors.

Now that I am thinking, the first time I just twisted the wires together then used spring tubing. The second time I did the same out I also soldered in the middle.

The error code went away immediately. But I don't know about the SES warning light. I have a code reader that clears abs codes and warnings and I'm sure I cleared the warning right after I saw that there was no error code.

Also, my situation was worse the second time because I cut out the connectors and I ran out of wire. I know you know what a pain the location of those wires is. I cut extra wire from an old abs line and lengthened them both. Meaning that I had two connections on each one. Ugh I'm reliving it.
That is exactly what I did. Not much wire from harness to connector inside the engine so I spliced some new wire to one end to it, shrink wrapped and the other end to the metal pins. I did have about an 2 inch of wire before the splice on the pin side. Tested from pin to ECU and it toned out. So the only thing I could think is some kind of interference due too lack of sheilding, which is causing the ECU to not see the correct voltage it expects. Pulling my hair out.

Old 03-27-2016, 01:17 PM
Camel Trophy

That is exactly what I did. Not much wire from harness to connector inside the engine so I spliced some new wire to one end to it, shrink wrapped and the other end to the metal pins. I did have about an 2 inch of wire before the splice on the pin side. Tested from pin to ECU and it toned out. So the only thing I could think is some kind of interference due too lack of sheilding, which is causing the ECU to not see the correct voltage it expects. Pulling my hair out.
I used two layers of shrink tubing at each splice but no shielding. Maybe I just got lucky. They are finicky, no doubt.

Old 03-27-2016, 01:18 PM
Camel Trophy

I used two layers of shrink tubing at each splice but no shielding. Maybe I just got lucky. They are finicky, no doubt.

Now, I did shrink the individual wires separately and staggered the splices. Then shrank the whole thing. Maybe if your splices are too close they cause interference.