Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AC colder on drivers side than passenger side

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2013, 07:28 PM
Winching
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default AC colder on drivers side than passenger side

My AC is blowing cold only through the two drivers side vents. The two passenger side vents are obviously cooler than outside air, but not near as cool as the drivers side. Any ideas? Blend door not fully functioning? I plan to take it in to the local rover shop, but thought I would check here for ideas first.

Old 05-23-2013, 10:09 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

EDIT: Do you have Dual Climate Control? Do you have both sides set to the same temp?

Here is a page from the RAVE that shows how to manually run the A/C Diagnostics. On my Jaguar, it runs through many more tests, but maybe it will come up with something to help you in this case.

Attached Thumbnails AC colder on drivers side than passenger side-ac-diagnostics.jpg  

Last edited by SuperSport; 05-23-2013 at 11:34 AM.
Old 05-23-2013, 11:11 AM
Winching

Yes I do have the dual climate control and both sides are set on LO. I will run the check and see if I get any faults. Thanks!

Old 05-23-2013, 02:43 PM
Winching

Ran the check and no codes.

Old 05-23-2013, 02:48 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

From my understanding, if you've got a stuck door, it should have thrown a code. Maybe it doesn't always???

I'd wonder about something physically blocking air flow (leaves, foam), or maybe a loose connection somewhere (hose disconnect).

Also, maybe the controller itself is not sending the correct voltage to the one side?

Old 05-23-2013, 03:03 PM
Winching

The amount of airflow doesn't seem to be the issue. Temperature is the issue. I flipped between the distribution areas and I think the doors are functioning properly.

Old 05-24-2013, 01:24 PM
Winching
Received 43 Likes on 39 Posts

You probably just have low refrigerant. Get it checked for leaks and recharged, or at least top it off with a bottle from the auto store.

I had exactly the same symptom. It didn't make sense to me why it would be "sided" instead of just not cold overall, but that's how it was. Driver's side was nice and cold, and passenger was lukewarm. I topped it off and it was cold on both sides. Then I had to replace the leaking hose which was the root cause.

Old 07-03-2014, 02:42 AM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

An older thread but I'll try anyway. Have the same problem as Cosmic. 2003 Disco. The drivers side blows cools air.. Not cold but cool enough while the passenger side blows warmer air through the vents and very warm air out of the middle lower leg warmer vent. Ran the manual diagnostics in the morning before work, daylight but not bright sunshine with a 21 and 22 code triggerd. Tried again at three with bright sunlight and no codes but still warm air from the passenger side. Tried again a couple hours before sunset with the codes triggered again. If ther is an open or faulty circuit, would changing the control panel most likely take care of this problem? Thanks.

Old 07-05-2018, 10:40 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 245 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by Maui Mike
An older thread but I'll try anyway. Have the same problem as Cosmic. 2003 Disco. The drivers side blows cools air.. Not cold but cool enough while the passenger side blows warmer air through the vents and very warm air out of the middle lower leg warmer vent. Ran the manual diagnostics in the morning before work, daylight but not bright sunshine with a 21 and 22 code triggerd. Tried again at three with bright sunlight and no codes but still warm air from the passenger side. Tried again a couple hours before sunset with the codes triggered again. If ther is an open or faulty circuit, would changing the control panel most likely take care of this problem? Thanks.
I know this is a very old thread, but I have returned to it twice in four years, by searching Google, having forgotten the answer to the one side hot one side cold question. See post 7. Get some refrigerant from an auto parts store and a cheap hose, and add some to the low pressure side while running the ac on low/max before taking any drastic steps. This has solved my problem twice.

These forums are full of wisdom.

​​​

Old 07-06-2018, 03:47 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,160 Likes on 836 Posts

Yep, low on freon. Happens to my wife's 03 every year. Add about 8 oz. of freon and good to go!

Brian.

Quick Reply: AC colder on drivers side than passenger side