Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AC Compressor jump test?

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2015, 01:04 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 35 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by MPDano
Ok guys. Finally got the bumper off.

3 scrivets on top, then you'll need to remove the panels under the headlight. Had to remove the inside fender panel on the drivers side to access screw. Once those two panels are removed, the grill will come off.

Found the switch and jumped it using a fork spade. Turned the engine on and hit the AC On button. Sure enough, the clutch then started spinning. I just let it run for a few seconds, but you can then feel the cold ac out the vents.

That was a relief as at least I know now the compressor is good. Now to get it over to my AC guy and have him check the R134 levels and put some dye and see if it is leaking.

Are you sure it's not a bad pressure switch? I guess either way, you would have to depressurize the system to replace it. Good luck man! Hopefully it's just a little low on refrigerant.

Old 06-01-2015, 07:21 AM
Mudding
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by disc oh no
Are you sure it's not a bad pressure switch? I guess either way, you would have to depressurize the system to replace it. Good luck man! Hopefully it's just a little low on refrigerant.
Pressure switch was fine and jumping is a good way to verify. Plus, only way to fill with r134 is to jump it. AC is good to go now and switch is working as it should. Added more r134 after this video was taken. The r134 has a dye additive so now I can monitor for any leaks. I did notice a little bit on top of the compressor, tightened the two 8mm bolts and it seemed to stop. Will get the system evacuated and replace those o-rings.

Old 06-02-2015, 06:30 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 35 Likes on 35 Posts

Awesome! I'm glad you got it working!

Old 06-02-2015, 06:49 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

it is quite common to have to jump the low pressure switch in order to get the clutch to lock up, without the clutch locked up your pressure on your gauges will equalize.
and if that was you on the gauges I give you extra credit for not dumping liquid in the high side.

Old 06-02-2015, 07:20 AM
Mudding
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by drowssap
it is quite common to have to jump the low pressure switch in order to get the clutch to lock up, without the clutch locked up your pressure on your gauges will equalize.
and if that was you on the gauges I give you extra credit for not dumping liquid in the high side.
Thanks guys! Pretty much youtube is my teacher. Made sure I understood how to use the gauges before I hooked it up. The only thing I kept forgetting before opening the low side upon adding r134 was to bleed the line of air.