Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ac question - refrigerant lines

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2011, 06:44 PM
7th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ac question - refrigerant lines

Hey guys, I'l preface this by saying I know very little about air conditioning, which will probably be evident, but I'm learning. I've got a 2002 disco v8 series II that's leaking any refrigerant I put in. It looks like it's coming out of a refrigerant line that loops under the entire condenser - but when I looked to see what line this was in my workshop manual, it doesn't show anything that does this. It's about two feet long and runs parallel to the front bumper. The manual shows a setup for a diesel, but says they are similar.

I may be way off, but it looks like one end is coming out of the receiver drier, running down and along the condenser (but not attaching anywhere), looping and coming back and going to the maybe back into the receiver drier or something slightly above it - but definitely not the compressor. I know this is probably vague, but any insight/direction is appreciated.

Dan

Old 04-08-2011, 08:30 PM
Banned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think it's the power steering cooler you are looking at.
Power Steering Hose Pump To Box for Discovery Series II, Steering & Suspension Parts

Old 04-08-2011, 08:57 PM
7th Gear

Bingo, it may just be coincidence that it's leaking as I put in the refrigerant - or more likely, it's not what's leaking. I'll look more closely, thanks a bunch.

Old 04-09-2011, 03:11 PM
Winching
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan02
Bingo, it may just be coincidence that it's leaking as I put in the refrigerant - or more likely, it's not what's leaking. I'll look more closely, thanks a bunch.
You're probably in the right place. Just behind that is the condenser and the accumulator. The high side line from the compressor goes down along the frame on the driver's side and the line bolts to the side of the condenser here:

(obviously that's a picture with the radiator and transmission cooler removed.....and well, you know...the motor is out)

The condenser then feeds to the accumulator just in front of the condenser. You can see that with the grill removed:

The horn I pointed out normally goes where the text "horn" is. It's out so I have access to the bolts that hold the radiator supports, so you can ignore that for your purposes.

The silver fitting you can see on the accumulator goes to a soft line that switches to a hard line and runs down the inside of the driver's side BODY (not the frame) back towards the cabin to the evaporator. You can actually see it coming back out of the front firewall no the first picture. It's the silver hard line above the marked "high side line".

But you see there are a lot of lines and fittings there. All of them have gaskets. So it could be as simple as a bad gasket or a loose fitting, hopefully.

Grab some dye and a UV light and put a little in after cleaning everything up in there. You should be able to find it no problem.

Old 04-10-2011, 12:29 PM
7th Gear

Thanks for taking the time to spell all of this out. Really appreciate it.

Old 04-10-2011, 04:11 PM
Mudding

"horn ignore that!" lol