Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Accident, Bumpers, Brush/Light Guards

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2011, 08:27 PM
Mudding
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Accident, Bumpers, Brush/Light Guards

Hello Everyone,

My poor Disco (see photos) I had a low velocity run in with a Ford Taurus X's rear end, she was turning left at an intersection, entering the street I was exiting, hit my DS front end while I was rolling forward from a stop to pass through the intersection.

1. I've listed below what I can see for damage. I'm wondering what other things I should be concerned about having impacted (no pun intended), it looks like I'll have to go through insurance on this one so I'd appreciate advice about what I should get the insurance's mechanic/body shop to look at and any other advice really.

• Custom front bumper cover displaced, missing (destroyed) on driver's side (including headlight washer nozzle)
• Driver's side reinforced headlight ejected and destroyed
• Driver's side turn signal light crush/destroyed
• Driver's side of front bumper crumpled (into DS front tire, manually pulled out to allow driving home)
• Hood damaged - evident from slight crumple and deep paint scratches on driver's side front corner
• Driver's side front panel damaged - evident from crumple and deep paint scratches on upper corner and front/leading edge (near DS front hood corner and destroyed signal light)
• Driver's side custom fog light displaced
• Passenger's side reinforced headlight displaced
• Plastic formwork behind front and near driver's side front reinforced headlight grill crushed/destroyed
• Washer fluid reservoir destroyed - fill spout broken off main body of reservoir
• Initially when headlights were turned on after restart after impact they would indicate as high beams on dash regardless of setting
• Left turn signal (destroyed on front) flashes very fast, right seems normal

2. I've always wanted a metal front bumper (for some reason)

2a. Advice/comments?

2b. Compatibility: I've got a brush guard (advice/comments?) I'd like to put on (I understand I need to get http://www.roverparts.com/Parts/STC50192G.cfm to mount it). My question is if a metal (or other) bumper would cause difficulty with respect to getting my brush guard on?

2c. Sources (I'm in eastern Canada)? http://www.roverparts.com/Parts/8931.cfm is the type I was thinking I'd like - but it says it's for 03 and 04, I have an 01. The only one I see is http://www.roverparts.com/Parts/9459D2.cfm but it's more expensive and I already have a brush guard.

2d. Winches - comments/advice/sources (I'm in eastern Canada)?

2e. Concerns of 'stuff hanging out' - do any of these metal bumpers (which look at bit like the Saudi mod?) let stuff 'hang out' below, thus compromising their safety (I'm thinking like the wash fluid reservoir, etc.)

3. My brush guard and light guards which I bought used need some work - I understand I can get them powder coated or something? Advice? Comments?

Thanks as always everybody!!

Attached Thumbnails Accident, Bumpers, Brush/Light Guards-iphone_photos_20110131_-1506.jpg   Accident, Bumpers, Brush/Light Guards-iphone_photos_20110131_-1507.jpg   Accident, Bumpers, Brush/Light Guards-iphone_photos_20110131_-1508.jpg   Accident, Bumpers, Brush/Light Guards-iphone_photos_20110131_-1509.jpg  
Old 01-31-2011, 09:03 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

New headlight, new bumper and pop that fender back out and your done.
Air bag didnt go off so no frame damage.
The shop will know exactly what to look for.
Take the insurance check and go buy your goodies.

Old 02-07-2011, 07:05 PM
Mudding
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey guys - any advice? I really need some help regarding the bumper - I don't know where to look - my insurance's body shop says to get a supplier and part number, I don't know what would fit in terms of the metal ones and what options I have, and as far as plastic - does anyone sell the Saudi mod anymore? Is that safe? Does stuff hang out - please see my original post for more detailed questions - thanks!!

Old 02-07-2011, 07:17 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a run in with some ice and snow.... Insurance gave me $459.00 for the reconditioned bumper cover. The one you can't find for less than $550.00. I figured it was time to upgrade. Money is in the bank and I look everyday on ebay and craigslist till the right deal comes along. There is almost always a broken disco looking to refurbish its brothers.

Old 02-07-2011, 07:22 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I installed my own front factory brush guard. There are two things you need. The mounts and the stabilizer brackets. It only took me about two hours to do it.

Old 02-07-2011, 07:49 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by collector87
Hey guys - any advice? I really need some help regarding the bumper - I don't know where to look - my insurance's body shop says to get a supplier and part number, I don't know what would fit in terms of the metal ones and what options I have, and as far as plastic - does anyone sell the Saudi mod anymore? Is that safe? Does stuff hang out - please see my original post for more detailed questions - thanks!!
Here, let me Google that for you.

http://www.google.com/search?ie=UTF-...I+front+bumper

Old 02-07-2011, 08:27 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Spike555

u know that is a website right?

http://lmgtfy.com/