Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ace discovery2

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2012, 07:11 AM
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ace discovery2

Hello all,iam from the netherlands so new here,i have a question,can a discovery2 drive without ACE when its totally broken for only highway use or when doesnt the car must have other suspension?For exemple the old Landrover Series 90-110 dont have ACE,s

Old 06-10-2012, 07:46 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

What do you mean by it is totally broken?

Old 06-10-2012, 08:14 AM
Rock Crawling

If you are asking if you can drive an ACE vehicle with the ACE system disabled, yes you can. On a side note, the ACE system is a great option. Why not just fix it?

Old 06-10-2012, 04:24 PM
3rd Gear
Default ace

Originally Posted by wilson96rr
If you are asking if you can drive an ACE vehicle with the ACE system disabled, yes you can. On a side note, the ACE system is a great option. Why not just fix it?
with ''TOTALLY BROKEN"' means :leakage in the system,hoses difficult to replace,te computer must be in line with the stabilisators positions and the pressure ace switch schould be replaced?air vapours out of the system etc.so this is what i heard and to fix would be too expensive,so my question is and was if the discovery can drive the system locked or disabled?My situation in Holland is that the amber warning light appears now and then,so i hope its only the switch [120$]

Last edited by p.nieuwenhuis; 06-10-2012 at 04:33 PM.
Old 06-10-2012, 05:12 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It is my understanding with the system, that if it is completely disabled and there is no pressure in it then the front of the vehicle will behave as if it has no anti-rollbar. The amber light I believe means it has enough pressure in the system to at least mimic a solid anti-rollbar but doesn't have enough function to actively work. With that you have either 2 options, either fix the ace, or you'll need to do a complete swap to a standard anti-rollbar setup. I dont think there is a way to disable it and leave it in without compromising some safety. Mind you the vehicle wont be like a time bomb, but it wont be nearly as stable as it is with one of the systems in it.

Old 06-10-2012, 08:27 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

All you need to do is buy a new serpentine belt, there are 2 for the DII, one for the trucks WITH ACE and one for the trucks WITHOUT ACE, put on the NON ACE belt and the system is totally disabled.
The cost is the price of a new belt and your time to install it.

Discover Land Rover Discovery Serpentine Belt Routing Maintenance Tips

You just bypass the ACE pump pulley.

Old 06-10-2012, 09:13 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Spike555
All you need to do is buy a new serpentine belt, there are 2 for the DII, one for the trucks WITH ACE and one for the trucks WITHOUT ACE, put on the NON ACE belt and the system is totally disabled.
The cost is the price of a new belt and your time to install it.

Discover Land Rover Discovery Serpentine Belt Routing Maintenance Tips

You just bypass the ACE pump pulley.
What he said. I have gone 2500 miles now with the ACE system disabled just by swapping the belt. Doesn't drive as nice now with more roll in the turns, but perfectly fine. I need to find the high pressure hose in the front used. I tried to buy it new, but for some reason when buying new they updated something and you have to get the hard line rear hoses too. The cost of it is like $400, but it is more about what a pain in the butt it will be doing that rear line. I was totally willing to shell out the $200 for the front hose, especially as it was an easy fix.

Old 06-11-2012, 05:47 AM
3rd Gear
Default more ace text food

The lines are carefully isolated from the chassis and body as a lot of noise would be generated if they touched somewhere. If you ever have to replace the lines don't wonder if the lines you buy are different. As the factory mounts the lines before the body is assembled, they can use 1-piece lines. Replacement lines are always 2 pieces and you MUST cut the genuine lines to remove them, there's no way to retrieve them in one piece. If removed and remounted later take care not to interchange the lines as this will hurt the system as the actuators on the right and left side take different pressures. If you look at the connections you will notice that they have been clearly marked "A", "B", "P" and "T".
If you break the lines while driving you will not notice anything abnormal. So LR incorporated a red flashing light and a buzzer. If the warning light glows orange, you have a problem and the system has switched to locked actuators, thus acting as heavy sway bars. If the light goes red and the buzzer goes on, you lost so much fluid that the pump can be damaged. Theorhetically the system closes the lines before this and switchs the pump to bypass.In this case you will notice much more body roll but you can still drive.
this site i saw very usefull information about TD5 vehicles :D2a Td5 misfiring & cutting out (engine harness) - Australian Land Rover Owners

Last edited by p.nieuwenhuis; 06-11-2012 at 07:42 AM. Reason: usefull TD5 info
Old 06-11-2012, 08:44 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

The one other thing you should do beside bypassing the system pump is to pull the fuse in the engine compartment.