Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ACE and power in steering leak

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2016, 12:58 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ACE and power in steering leak

I'm driving a 2001 disco II with 95k miles. I had the ace light come on and had a shop check it out. They want to replace the power steering pump and all hoses associated with it. However, the ACE reservoir is the one not holding fluid. The power steering side loses a little over a few weeks, maybe 15-20%. The ACE reservoir will not hold liquid more than a day. There's a severe leak coming from the passenger side underneath the headlight area. I have yet to do a dye/uv test.

Does this repair sound correct or could there be more involved?

Old 04-30-2016, 04:22 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

there are hard lines going from the ACE pump to the valve body thats under and center on the frame rail on the passenger side of the truck. so maybe the soft line that goes form the pump to the hard lines is leaking and its running its way down the hard line to a low point and dripping out from under the front passenger head light? idk? also the hydrolic thingy that pushes and pulls on the front sway bar is on the passenger side too, so it could be leaking from that too?

idk if you can even try and use power steering stop leak on an ACE system with good results?

Old 04-30-2016, 07:03 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2,272 Likes on 1,676 Posts

Originally Posted by BS50MGSXR
there are hard lines going from the ACE pump to the valve body thats under and center on the frame rail on the passenger side of the truck. so maybe the soft line that goes form the pump to the hard lines is leaking and its running its way down the hard line to a low point and dripping out from under the front passenger head light? idk? also the hydrolic thingy that pushes and pulls on the front sway bar is on the passenger side too, so it could be leaking from that too?

idk if you can even try and use power steering stop leak on an ACE system with good results?
The hydraulic ram basically is on the RF side of the D2, you probably have a leak near it or the seals are worn out on the hydraulic ram.

Old 04-30-2016, 08:30 PM
Drifting

Would a dye test be the best way to identify that? What would I need to replace for the seals on the hydraulic ram?

Old 04-30-2016, 09:35 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

i could be wrong, but from what i found, there are not replacement parts for the thing, just got to buy a new one. $160

ACTUATOR FRONT OR REAR DII w/ACE, RQK100000, RND849, PLD849 - Rovers North - Classic Land Rover Parts

Old 05-01-2016, 04:14 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

While you are checking the lines, also check the banjo bolt on the pump, under the air intake tube. This wouldn't be the leak you already observed on the passenger side. However, that banjo bolt could be a second leak. It will drain the reservoir rapidly by itself, if not snug. No cost to snug up the bolt IF it is leaking there, also. Just a suggestion to check before you start buying parts.

Old 05-03-2016, 10:20 AM
Drifting

Hopefully these images show up. This is in the front passenger wheel well.

Old 05-03-2016, 08:12 PM
Super Moderator

You need a new hydraulic part like shown earlier for 159.00 from AB. Those seals are blown under that boot. From the look of it, she's been seeping for a good while.

When replacing that part take great care and make absolutely sure no dirt or debris gets into any lines or your ACE system will not have a very long life.

Old 05-04-2016, 06:37 PM
Drifting

Here's showing the hydraulic with uv liquid in the ACE system. It started coming out of the boot after a few mins. Very severe leak. The arm doesn't look too hard to replace. Is there anything I should note when replacing it?

Old 05-04-2016, 07:43 PM
Super Moderator

Should just be a simple remove/install project. Then crank up the D2 and watch the fluid level. Not sure of the bleeding procedure on the ACE system.

Quick Reply: ACE and power in steering leak