Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ACE pump dying; Can I replace it?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2015, 01:14 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Default ACE pump dying; Can I replace it?

I was at my local indie LR shop and the tech said the loud whining noise is the ACE pump "about to fail". The quote for parts and labor is $1350, $950 of that is the pump.
Most threads I looked at about ACE failure ended with someone saying "you can't do it yourself."
As someone who has pulled 5 engines and done just about everything else to any number of cars I say, "give me the directions."
But has anyone done it with success?
Can I buy a rebuild kit? Is there a fluid I can add to it and try flushing it myself that's worth a shot before replacement?
The cheapest I can find a pump is $475 new. I'm assuming I don't want a used one.

Old 02-27-2015, 01:39 PM
Super Moderator
Received 210 Likes on 194 Posts

yes you can

Old 02-27-2015, 05:24 PM
Rock Crawling

Is it worth doing vs. Converting to a standard roll bar setup? I see a kit on eBay for under $700 to convert.
I love the ace, but I'm guessing it will have more problems in the future.

Old 02-27-2015, 06:57 PM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

If the ACE pump is kaput it's worth rebuilding. The standard type anti roll/sway bar is very inferior to ACE when used on the highways at speed. Given the choice I would always go for the D2 with ACE.

The following users liked this post:
PalmettoDisco (05-21-2021)
Old 02-27-2015, 07:12 PM
Rock Crawling

Well, I live in the mountains and there are lots of curves here, so anything helps. I appreciate your thoughts.
Is there a rebuild kit?

Old 03-03-2015, 02:54 PM
Rock Crawling

bump: is there a way to rebuild the insanely expensive pump? I can't find a kit anywhere

Old 03-03-2015, 02:56 PM
Rock Crawling

Also, every post on every LR site that discusses ACE pump issues and replacements ends without resolution and Discomike says to contact him. So sounds like Mike was being awesome and giving great help to people, but no one gets around to posting what procedures he helped them do. He hasn't responded to any of my messages so I assume he is no longer active.

Somewhat annoying

Old 03-03-2015, 03:04 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Well yes, that was the major problem with DiscoMike - he would give everybody half the info, then have people call him for the rest of the information. And the posts were left to dangle in the breeze with no updates as to what was done...

Old 03-03-2015, 07:36 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 99 Likes on 92 Posts

Well let's examine the situation and what you have facing you. I'm also speaking from the point of not having ACE on my truck but having worked on multiple vehicles with Hydraulic suspension.

1. Pump is making noise. Can you confirm this? Stethoscope method tends to work best.

2. If you do decide to replace the pump yourself, instead of rebuilding, just buy a new one. That way you have a spare. You can rebuild on your own time and not have your vehicle down for any extended period of time. And if you see if, you can always turn around and sell the rebuilt one.

3. What is the procedure for replacement. you should have a copy of Rave for the instructions.

4. That being said, and this is critical, what is the bleed procedure. I know for the vehicles I work on, if you don't have the factory computer or a scan tool that can actuate the suspension, you're not going anywhere.

Just to get you started.

Old 03-03-2015, 09:43 PM
Super Moderator
Received 210 Likes on 194 Posts

I can answer the bleed part.....it is a self bleed unit...(to an extent) a big open space and figure 8s or a roundabout. otherwise.......nanocom or testbook

Quick Reply: ACE pump dying; Can I replace it?