Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Adding Jump Seats to SE5

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2013, 09:52 PM
7th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Adding Jump Seats to SE5

I am considering adding the 3rd row jump seats to my 04 Disco SE5. I found several sets on eBay for varying prices. Two questions, first, does anyone have a complete set (w/ side panels and belts, etc) that they'd like to sell? Second, has anyone done this? This site and others have conflicting advice and I couldn't find any photos or completed stories. Thanks for your thoughts.

Old 02-21-2013, 10:05 PM
TReK
Received 86 Likes on 59 Posts

Most people here will hop on your *** and deter you so watch out! Some will advise getting a SE7 Disco which comes with the additional seats already installed. Others will argue that unless you frequently have 6 passengers in your Disco, that it would be futile to perform the mod to your none 7 seater Disco.

I say follow your hearts desire, whatever makes you happy. Just make sure you have all the right parts, tools and knowledge before hand. I dont know how to do it but I know you can find dam good prices on used Disco parts here on this forum, many people on here sell or part out Discos so you should not have a hard time finding a good dead on seats and the other parts you need. Start with Paul Grant. He frequents the for sale section. Send him a message and see what he currently has in stock for used parts.

Good luck and good hunting. Imagination is what keep ours Rovers rolling so Im behind you if you choose to perform the mod to your truck

Old 02-21-2013, 11:32 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by TRIARII
I say follow your hearts desire, whatever makes you happy. Just make sure you have all the right parts, tools and knowledge before hand. I dont know how to do it but I know you can find dam good prices on used Disco parts here on this forum,

Imagination is what keep ours Rovers rolling so Im behind you if you choose to perform the mod to your truck
Some of the **** you say..........

Old 02-22-2013, 12:33 AM
TReK
Received 86 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by greenharoguy
Some of the **** you say..........
I speak freely, passionately and without lie so whats the issue with the things I say? This forum IS a great place to find used Rover parts and theres no crime in following your hearts desire - or your crazy ideas whatever they be.

Old 02-22-2013, 05:52 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

I know it not a popular answer but: Your first call should be to your insurance company, to see what they have to say about you converting a 5 passenger vehicle to a 7 passenger vehicle. Many because right now you are paying to insure a vehicle built for 5 people not one built for 7 people. so who besides your mother-in-law do you not want covered with insurance if you have an accident.

Last edited by drowssap; 02-22-2013 at 06:31 AM.
Old 02-22-2013, 07:52 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by drowssap
I know it not a popular answer but: Your first call should be to your insurance company, to see what they have to say about you converting a 5 passenger vehicle to a 7 passenger vehicle. Many because right now you are paying to insure a vehicle built for 5 people not one built for 7 people. so who besides your mother-in-law do you not want covered with insurance if you have an accident.
I partially agree here except except that while its called "a mod" there really arent any actual modifications to swap in the rear seats. You are just replacing factory, DOT, NHTSA, Federal, etc. approved parts with your old trim/utility parts. You can make the argument that there are missing welds but they can be added and tbh I doubt the ins company or even the police at time of accident will be able to look at it and say "well that's not right"

Old 02-22-2013, 08:34 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

That’s not point is not that at all? The point is you bought and insured a 5 passenger vehicle; you did not buy a 7 passenger.Therefore the vehicle is only insured for 5 passenger not 7 passenger quite simply.

Now will the insurance say it is OK to just install 2 additional seats, that’s a question for your insurance company? There may require that it bedone at a dealership or they could tell you No.

The VIN tells the company if it is a 5 or 7 passenger truck, that’s how they price your insurance.

You can take a cargo van (2 passengers) and convert it into a 15 passenger,if you want, but your insurance is not going to cover the other 13 people. Unless the coverage has been changed and approved by the insurance company they are not covered because the vehicle exceeded the maximum allowable passengers of 2.

At some point a lot of you people should really sit down and read the “boilerplate” on your insurance policy, don’t be surprised when you get the part about modify your vehicle for racing or off roads use.

Last edited by drowssap; 02-22-2013 at 08:38 AM.
Old 02-22-2013, 08:34 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

I have helped one person do the seat conversion. A couple of things to know, it will take most of one day to do, yet not hard, the other thing is to only buy the seats with all the hardware and, panels and trim.
How much are the seats you have found?
If you have any questions, send me your number and I'll call you.

Old 02-22-2013, 08:50 AM
4th Gear

Also - a very relevant consideration - all 7 seaters were supplied with rear air suspension. 5 seaters generally as far as I'm aware had coil rear suspension. This is a very important consideration for insurance companies

Old 02-22-2013, 10:10 AM
Super Moderator
Received 95 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by barczyk
Also - a very relevant consideration - all 7 seaters were supplied with rear air suspension. 5 seaters generally as far as I'm aware had coil rear suspension. This is a very important consideration for insurance companies
You could get optional SLS on 5 seaters, but as you said, I'm pretty sure it was standard on the 7 seaters in MOST markets. There are 7 seater coils listed in the catalog.

Quick Reply: Adding Jump Seats to SE5