Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The adventure continues

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2020, 10:56 PM
Drifting
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default The adventure continues

So after fixing the know issues when I bought my D2 and thanks to the help of a few great folks here .... I was able to enjoy driving for awhile. And then.... came the leak... first thing that went was the overflow tank.... replacement from ebay .. problem solved.... then went that little bleed screw for the cooling system... ugh .. but after a few trips to some supply stores I managed to find the right thread metal replacement bolts.... Everything is great... running like a champ... having a blast off road and then.... the leak returns.... I could smell the coolant but damned if I could find the leak.... then Bam.... rad fluid everywhere... so much so and in a location that pointed to the water pump... Replaced the water pump ... quick test drive ... all good.... but oh no says my D2 I'm a sneaky bastard.... still leaking says my D2.... so after searching and searching I finally find the little bugger... a super small hole in one of the lower hoses that would only leak under pressure... which of course would **** all over the water pump which I now realize didn't need replacing... bang head... So I have finally gotten all these little things fixed.... Now on to the fun stuff... 3D printing my new horn buttons ...

Old 11-06-2020, 06:55 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 895 Likes on 646 Posts

It's not uncommon that increasing pressure in the cooling system by correcting a cooling system leak will cause the next weakest component to exhibit its failure. Happened to me after I replaced the headgaskets ten years ago. First, the throttle body heater started leaking. After I fixed that, the bleed screw and its mount blew out of the old-style upper radiator hose while I was at a stoplight driving home from work. I was able to pull over and use a golf tee and some duct tape to be able to limp home.

I'm sorry for you that you replaced the water pump, perhaps unnecessarily. It's recommended that when either the water pump or the fan clutch is replaced that the other should also be replaced. You may want to replace the fan clutch with a Hayden 2991.

Old 11-06-2020, 02:44 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,509 Likes on 1,069 Posts

Usually the leaks caused by overpressure are due to blown HG. You can run the cap one turn loose so it does not build pressure and it will not blow out all the weak points, also reduces the deterioration rate of the hg leak. Eventually still needs fixing though.

Old 11-08-2020, 09:33 AM
Mudding
Received 65 Likes on 39 Posts

Just out of curiosity why 3d print a part you can buy on ebay for as little as $7.50

Old 11-08-2020, 10:23 AM
Mudding
Received 160 Likes on 73 Posts

I feel your pain I had a ton of trouble with the cooling system when I first got my truck. I've never had such trouble with getting a vehicle leak free. Eventually had to replace everything but the radiator.